Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Tripping Down Memory Lane




When I graduated from high school, there were only a few people I cared to ever see again. My childhood years in the deep south were certainly not the happiest time of my life. I assumed that I too had permanently fallen off the radar screen of my classmates. But not so!

A group of them who also graduated from Bay County High School in 1967 are planning our 40th class reunion for next year. All of a sudden they are sending me e-mail messages as though I am a long lost friend. I find this almost laughable, but at the same time 40 years is certainly enough time to forgive any slights and I am enjoying a popularity that I never experienced while there.

In addition to my group of close friends (all girls), I have had recent messages from two people. Gary was in most every class with me in elementary school. We were on student council together. At one point I ran for some student council office against him and won. In high school, the roles were reversed and he won the election. I can't even remember what we were running for; I just remember the outcome. He was always a polite very southern boy, whose father owned a local drug store I think. From his e-mail, he is still just as polite and has continued to live in Panama City probably all of his life.

Olivia was the envy of every girl in my class. Her mother died tragically during childbirth when she was 10. But she never let that stop her from excelling. She was a cheerleader, always had a cute boyfriend, was president of the Keyette Club, taught herself to sew, and owned virtually every piece of Villager clothing ever made. She didn't lack for much because her father owned a local bottling plant and they lived in a huge house on the bay. Needless to say, I was not in her group of close friends. So I was most surprised to get an e-mail message from her. You see, she is organizing the reunion. It was as though we had been the best of friends.

I learned that a group of some 15 of my classmates get together for lunch once a month. I am somewhat amazed at why anyone would want to stay in Panama City, but they sound happy enough. It's probably a great place to raise children because life is just a little slower there. One of the most beautiful beaches in the world is just a few miles away.

I'm sure that one of those 15 is John Henry, my 7th grade boyfriend, who was affectionately called "Tank" because he was always overweight. His family was extremely wealthy and spent a lot of time at the yacht club. He talked disparagingly about the few Jews who lived in PC and also frequented the yacht club. He would call me every night and want to talk and talk because he really didn't like doing school work. It turns out that John Henry is gay and works as an interior designer in PC. His sister manages the local country club, which his family built (I think). So I told Olivia to let John Henry know that he owes me a hug if I show up for the reunion.

After attending our 10th reunion, I vowed never to go to another. But I am somewhat intrigued about the 40th. This may be the sort of thing I don't even want to attempt convincing David to go to. I'm pretty sure he would not have much in common with most of my former classmates.

What do you think? Should I go?

6 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

I've never attended a reunion because I disliked the people I went to school with. But you know how to make an experience like this fun, and memorable. Are you going to go?

8:43 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I'll probably go out of curiosity as much as anything else. But I will have to make sure that at least a couple of my high school friends are there just in case these new friendships don't hold up... I'm sure it will make for some good Blog material!

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DO GO. At the 10th reunion people are still posturing and trying to impress each other. By the 40th we are who we are and it will be FUN to see everyone. David should stay home so you can revisit the past and he won't have to be completely bored. It's worth coming to PC just to see the beautiful beach again. FL

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should go too. My parents still live close to the town where my mom grew up in (and my Dad lived a good number of years...my grandfather worked for VEPCO (the power company) and so they moved a lot). It seems you sort of let the crappy stuff go and just enjoy the different twists and turns everyone's lives have made. And there's always the beautiful beach close by! My Dad's new mantra has been...whatever decision you make at some point will be the wrong one...so you might as well make one. It's very Zen-ish...but true. I think you might enjoy it more than you think right now.

10:41 PM  
Blogger ernestmaitim said...

Definitely. The 40th is something hard to resist going to, don't you think? It would be great to have some catching up with them.

Barbara, I have chance upon a few Jewish bloggroups - but are pure of pure Jewish members. I'll keep researching.

It's Holy Wednesday today. Have a Blessed Day ahead.

11:21 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

FL -- If you are going, so am I! Let's make this a reason for our group of 5 to have our own reunion too. We can stay on the beach and re-live our high school days. I'll even put lemon juice on my hair and sit out in the sun -- maybe it will help the gray! Yay!

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home