Sunday, May 07, 2006

My Kind of Movie

I am such a romantic sap when it comes to movies. Last night’s Net Flix feature “In Her Shoes” was just what I needed to throw me back into a romantic state of mind. This movie portrayed the love-hate relationship of two sisters as they both fought to overcome a childhood of grief and establish themselves in an adult world. The movie ended with the younger dyslexic sister reading the following poem to her older sister as she stood under the Hupa:

i carry your heart with me

i carry your heart with me (i carry it in
my heart) i am never without it (anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)
i fear no fate(for you are my fate, my sweet)
i want no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)

ee cummings

As we were getting ready to curl up in each other’s arms, I asked my husband if he had picked that movie with me in mind, since his choice is often toward thrillers or even comedies, to which he replied, “I like those sappy movies, too!”

2 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

The night I saw this, I really wanted to see Capote, but my gay friend made me go to this, and then he promptly fell asleep. I was pissed, because I hate chick flicks, but this one was really good. Last week on the plane I saw Rumor Has It, and that was also pretty good for a chick flick. It had a good lesson in there for me: Don't freak out at commitment!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Just one more reason I love David so much!

Just read in the NY Times yesterday how hard they had to work to make Toni Collette look plain for that film. She's just such a striking looking woman. They made her gain 27 pounds (the article said) and kept working with makeup and hairdoes to make her look plainer than her costar.

Can't wait to hear about your brunch!

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home