Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Exodus in Style

As we sat outside at Sonoma in the early evening last night, we were particularly attracted to the shoes that were busily taking people down Pennsylvania Avenue. They were going to dinner, to the Metro, to meet friends, or just stopping for a drink. These were not sensible feet but feet dressed to kill.

What happened to the tennis shoes that used to be tucked into a work bag for the after-work walk? These shoes had high heels and severely pointed toes and some had ankle straps to make sure they weren’t falling off. I could almost feel the pain of some of their owners as they made their way somewhere, often at a brisk pace.

When you get to be my age, you have a very different view of stylish shoes. They engender thoughts of podiatrists and osteopaths to fix corns, callouses, bunions, and fallen arches. Instead we wear sensible sandals or closed toe shoes that bring comfort to tired feet.

But last night’s parade of shoes provided entertainment and variety as they all kicked up their heels just beyond our table.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Ouch! I could hardly ever wear those with my size 101/2 wide "Flintstone Feet Barges"! I suit Birkenstock type shoes. My dad always asked me, "Where are your dainty shoes?" Sorry dad, but they're just not me.

I go to a podiatrist every 7 weeks for diabetic foot care and he spends a lot of time on these barges! It's worth every penny!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I definitely carry work shoes and wear my walking shoes during the daily commute. I just cannot fathom wearing these heels and walking over the cobblestones home. Oh, I'll wear them out to dinner but more often than not, I'll change a couple of shops away from the restaurant or outside the metro. I'm not very girly, I'm afraid.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

I have to admit I loved checking out the shoes last night (and always). One important thing to remember is that shoes styles change constantly. Before we know what happens, women will be wearing little flat ballet slippers again or big honkin' workboots. A salute to everyone brave (and/or dumb?) enough to wear this year's baroque stilletos.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home