Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Whose Father's Day Is It?


Yesterday I found myself thinking ahead to Father's Day and then I realized I don't have a father any longer. Why do I feel so responsible? Mother's day was a grim reminder that if there is no initiative on the part of the other parent, the most you can expect is a phone call.

Maybe I just didn't drop any hints early enough. On our bike ride the other day, my husband cleverly remarked that if anyone was looking for a Father's Day idea, he could use bike shorts, a rear-view mirror (like Reya's), and a GPS system for his bike. Good God, I hope it doesn't talk, that's all I could think!

So I dutifully passed on these none-too-subtle hints to our children. Our daughter replied that she was getting him baseball tickets. I've yet to hear from our son. So I'm wondering if it's up to me to once again do his wish-list shopping. My plans were more along the line of a romantic candle-lit dinner with a good bottle of wine, not hanging out in some bike store.

The real question I'm trying to answer is at what point do our children suddenly take responsibility for remembering our one day a year? I can't remember when that happened for me, but it was probably early on because my parents would never have suggested spending money. After all, I would like some recognition of the fact that I spent 9 months (twice) looking like a beached whale, changed my career plans to cut out international travel and work part-time for a while, chauffeured them to lessons and practices and birthday parties for years, and then provided a car so they could make me crazy late at night when they didn't come home.

I take great joy in the fact that my children are growing up into responsible, intelligent members of society, who have no addictions or arrest records or personality disorders. Why in the world do I care whether they are obvious about their appreciation for their parents?

By the way, if you have a father, don’t forget that Father’s Day is this Sunday...

5 Comments:

Blogger Pagan Marbury said...

The week leading up to Father's Day sucks if you don't have one. Doesn't matter how old you are.

2:05 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

Wow. I am now officially shuttling off to the card store.

It's so easy to get wrapped up in our lives that, although I always call, I don't always remember cards and rarely do gifts. Somehow though, I'm always forgiven for that. And maybe, as kids, we know that?

5:05 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Don't have kids so can't comment but I do feel kids can be responsible at a really early age for remembering their own fathers. On the other hand, I wish my mom would give me some hints as to what I could get him! I am having 13 of us here for Father's Day and a BBQ. I have a blog already drafted that I'll post for him to see. He'll be amazed even looking at a computer screen but this is special; it's a story written by him with a few pictures of him. He's a very good writer and I've posted 2 poems already, one on Remembrance Day about that day, and the other called, "Beauty" posted in May sometime. I've always been amazed at how sensitive a writer and person he is, and he has passed this on to me big time, as well as my two older sisters.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pagan -- Unfortunately I'm with you and I really miss my father.

Cookie -- Cards are a nice reminder. I'm sure your Dad will wear a big smile when he opens your card.

MOI -- I can't wait to read your upcoming post! Does your Dad enjoy reading your Blog?

9:44 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

My dad doesn't have a computer but I've given hime had copies of my really good stuff (poems and stories!)

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home