Saturday, June 10, 2006

Free Parking



This Shabbat afternoon was a lesson in leisure, quite in contrast to my normal overly scheduled life. I experienced spring in DC at its finest in the company of one of my nearest and dearest friends.

Reya understands the “day of rest” part of Shabbat better than most people I know. Instead of rushing off to services to sing for a bar mitzvah as I did, she was leisurely drinking her Peet’s Coffee and eating her Cliff Bar, walking the dog, and taking in the beauty of Capitol Hill. But we did make plans to meet for lunch.

I had not before experienced Busboys and Poets, one of the newest funkiest spots in the renewed 14th Street corridor. The beauty of this place is that it sits right on the boundary of rich and poor, black and white. The prices are right, the menu is good, and the staff are engaging. Instead of the typcial “Hello, I am Nicole and I will be your server”, we had a lengthy discussion with our African American waiter about the mixture of lipstick that Reya was wearing and he recommended something from the Mary Kay line which he sells! How very cool that we could enjoy our food and talk about other things in the company of such an eclectic group. And there was no pressure to free up our table, so we had a leisurely lunch.

On our walk toward Dupont Circle, we found a street of fun gift and clothing stores that featured things I haven’t seen elsewhere. Reya found a drop-dead gorgeous huge crystal vase with an amethyst bottom for Bill and his wife as a wedding present. We both commented about how much more you really see, hear, and feel while walking than when you drive or even ride a bicycle.

We checked out Bang, a hair salon on P Street recommended by Velvet. I just couldn’t resist taking the picture above of not one, but two, decommissioned parking meters on the sidewalk out front. With a few more of these, maybe I wouldn’t get so many parking tickets in DC.

We ended our Shabbat stroll with a drink in Kramerbooks. This was no ordinary drink, but one custom-made to our tastes: Myers Rum with lemonade. Yummmmmy!

I must admit that walking around with no particular place to go, with no agenda, is so relaxing. Especially on one of the nicest days of the spring. The warm sun and cool swooshy breeze in the company of my good friend made it so easy to learn to be leisurely.

6 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

It was a blast. How did you know about the morning Clif bar? Bang is on U Street. We wandered the U Street corridor. It's soooo cool there. We have to do this again sometime maybe after rushing to services at TM, yes?

9:28 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Reya seems completely tuned into the rhythms of life without going into sensory overload. Sounds like a fun day.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Sounds wonderful! I love to nose around shops and just let the day evolve! I could learn to do this quite well....actually I do this now but it will even better after I retire! Ha! Ha! Only 3 more years!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- You can be my walking city tour guide any day, with or without services first!

Cube -- Reya is tuned into a lot of things, like the lavendar bush that was growing in someone's front yard garden. We picked lavendar and rubbed it to intensify the smell. Many people wouldn't have the slightest idea what a lavendar bush looked like, or care!

MotherOfInvention -- In addition to both being Capricorns and both loving Eva Cassidy's music, you and I are both planning to retire in three years. This is starting to be scary!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

That is kinda interesting! My husband has always had a beard (does yours?) and is known for its red colour...he looks like one of the Irish Rovers and his dad was Irish.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MotherOfInvention -- Yes to the beard, always!

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home