Thursday, August 10, 2006

Making Peace with Summer

When I woke up this morning, I knew something was different: I still had my pajamas on! For the past 10 days, I have been throwing off sheets and clothing in the middle of the night because it was so friggin’ hot. This wasn’t change of life hot, but rather dog days of summer hot. However, with the temperature about 20 degrees lower, I was luxuriating this morning under the covers.

Yesterday I also noticed that the bottles of Costco water that I keep in my car trunk were drinkable once again, as opposed to being hot enough to brew tea.

But perhaps the best effect of this weather change is the chance to take a long walk or bike ride this weekend without being soaked in sweat within 5 minutes. Now that’s a luxury.

As Reya recently pointed out, a change in temperature and humidity is even more dramatic when it has been as ridiculously hot as it has been here over the past couple of weeks. I’m looking forward to thoroughly enjoying this new weather because I’ve been in DC long enough to know there are still some hot days left in this summer of 2006.

6 Comments:

Blogger ghetufool said...

thanks for the comments. i am a financial journalist with a wire agency. sometimes i assign stories, to do a newsbreak when companies report something.
and wish you people a nice weather ahead.

1:17 PM  
Blogger RennyBA said...

Glad to hear you've made peace and that you reached a livable level:-) In Norway we still have a great summer but more like tempreture you have right now - so we survice too:-)

2:44 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Thank goodness for the reprieve! It's so much nicer sleeping in the summer bedroom now! It feels like you're up in the trees and we actually had to put another comforter on as it got down to 11 last night! But just as you have, we'll likely get another heat wave at the end of Aug. and some real hot days in Sept.

9:19 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

Barbara, meet Ghetufool. Ghetufool, meet Barbara.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Matt -- Ghetufool and I are already well acquainted. (We actually met on Tuesday.) I love having readers on multiple continents!

10:25 PM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Still hot down here!

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home