Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Year of the Pearl

It’s a shock when you realize that you’ve spent more than half your life being married, and even more of a shock when you realize that you’re still married to the same person. We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary yesterday – the year of the pearl.

It’s funny that I never had any doubts about this relationship. It was never with the thought that it might not last. We started out as just good friends, office mates that found an attraction beyond work. The romance part of it sort of snuck up on me. Probably a good thing, because I tended to run any time someone seemed seriously interested in me.

We were married on a hot steamy August day. It was not a day without incident. The first problem occurred when my husband-to-be put on his tux and found there were no studs included. This is when it was great to be living in a group house in Wesley Heights, where we could go next door and borrow studs from our neighbor, who had several sets to choose from. Meanwhile, my husband’s Aunt Zelda was insulting multiple guests and relatives while we attempted to get to the "synagogue" on time. The only snafu in the wedding was when I almost ran down the aisle before we had our wedding kiss. You see I had never before been to a Jewish wedding and I was so caught up in doing everything I was supposed to do that I almost forgot the most important thing!

Thirty years is a very long time. It hasn’t been problem-free. But we’ve always been able to talk to each other. Sometimes in loud voices, but we always talked. We weathered the storm of raising children, dealing with sick parents, dying pets, you name it. There have been many times when we were just too tired to be romantic, but they never lasted for very long. Sex has continued to be an important part of our relationship.

My card from my husband yesterday said, "Our love grows stronger every year (despite an occasional screw-up like The Magus)." To which I replied in my card, "Let’s go for another 30!" I really can’t imagine myself with anyone else, not ever!

12 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

LOVE the pic! You both still look exactly the same. Oh it's beautiful. The year of the pearl - yes!! Congratulations and much love to you both. Thirty more? Oh yeah!!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Happy anniversary! What a sweet post. :)

10:19 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Happy Anniversary! YAY! So, wow, people can be married for that long? Whoooo, that seems hard.

Um, for a hot August day, that is some dress. I bet you were dying of heat under there.`

11:31 AM  
Blogger Dsquared said...

Reya,

Thanks for the lovely exaggeration - at least in my case :-)

11:42 AM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Congratulations! Many happy years more.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Thanks to all of you!

Reya -- We look like kids in our wedding pic, are you kidding?

Velvet -- Yes, I probably was dying of the heat. My dress was a Mexican wedding dress from The Phoenix in G'town. Turned out that David hated it, much preferring something that shows a little skin. I think that's why they tell you never to show him the dress until the day of the wedding.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Jamy said...

I'm so happy for you. And a little jealous.

Congratulations!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Jamy -- Before you get jealous, just remember that being married 30 years means that you are OLD! That part sucks!

But thank you...

1:26 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

How wonderful!

Happy 30th anniversary.

Hope you have another even happier 30 years!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Congratulations and happy anniversary! Here's to another 30 years. What a lovely tribute to a great relationship...

2:51 PM  
Blogger Pagan Marbury said...

Beautiful post- thank you for sharing your anniversary with us.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Congrats! It is rather amazing isn't it? We're just 4 years behind you guys. We are very lucky to have been with the same wonderful understanding people....and they still choose to be with us! warts and all! HA!

I love your peasanty dress.

A toast to you both!

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home