Wednesday, September 27, 2006

No More Drool

For the last year or so I would wake up every morning with a wet pillow and a drool line down my chin. I had thought I was too old and still too young to drool. I was having trouble dealing with this annoying fact of life.

Then I got my sinking teeth fixed last week by my miracleworker dentist Larry Bowers, who also made me a replacement inline retainer for my lower jaw.

That night I slept more soundly than I had in a year. I woke up with my mouth totally shut and no drool on my pillow. Exactly what had changed?

About a year ago I had had a crown done on a lower molar, which had caused Dr. Bowers to need to cut off the back part of one side of my retainer, which I had worn faithfully since getting my dreaded braces off. I think it was this imbalance that caused my mouth to skew and give me symptoms of TMJ and lots of really gross drool at night when I was attempting to sleep.

So now I wake up with my jaw, which has seen so much strain and stress over the past 3 years, RELAXED. My pillow is dry. And most importantly my teeth feel like they like coming together once again. The balance of my mouth has finally been restored. I have a new appreciation for just how important balance can be – even the balance of your mouth!

4 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

Hmmm … not sure I would have blogged about my drool. The last tiem I recall drooling in my sleep was when I had strept throat - I could barely swallow and was prescribed HUGE pills.

Balance is essential. The hardest thing is knowing how to get into balance.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I drool a lot (in my sleep). I wonder if I'm unbalanced or if it's my TMJ.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Oh hell, I gave up on dry pillows once menopause set in! I buy a new set once a year.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

It's amazing how little they have to do to make a huge difference with mouth/teeth issues. I have the same plate to stop me grinding and biting the inside of my mouth while sleep...I was getting big sores! Worth the expense but I'm glad my plan covers much of it.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home