Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A Close One


At 6:59 PM I ran through the door of my polling place to learn that I would be the next to the last person allowed to vote. That was cutting it a little close.

I had left work at a little after 6:00 for what should have been a 30-minute trip home. But I had forgotten what happens to traffic with even a few raindrops. Several instances of gridlock nearly doubled my commute time. At the end I made an illegal U turn and did several rolling STOPs.

But get me to the polls on time. This was an election I didn't want to miss. The Virginia senatorial race is still too close to call. Unfortunately I don't think my vote made a difference in the ridiculous marriage question.

The really interesting thing that happened was when I pulled out my driver's license (or what I thought was my driver's license), the poll worker read back the name on the license. I suddenly realized that I had the license of one of my traveling companions – how I got it I don't remember. As I whipped out another driver's license – one that looked a lot more like me – the woman gave me a curious look. But she was counting down to the end and didn't want to even attempt to figure out what I might be trying to impersonate someone else.

I quickly made my selections, voting a basically Democratic slate, with the exception of Jim Moran, who will never get my vote again, no matter what party he represents. In that race I voted for the independent, a vote that did not make a difference except in my conscience.

For a split second as I was struggling in the traffic and coughing my head off, I had thoughts of skipping yesterday's election. But I'm glad I got in under the wire. I'm glad I exercised my right to choose in this country that still purports to be a democracy.

6 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

In Canada, they send you a card (if you are registered) and you bring that with you to the polling station. No need to whip out any sort of ID.

If you don't have the card, then you need to provide ID And proof of address.

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I responded to you on my blog, I am new to VA politics and had no idea Moran was such a jackass.

Wish I had asked.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

THANK YOU for voting! All the news is good - shocking, but good.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think they were counting on so many people voting!

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think they were counting on so many people voting!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Did you figure out how you got her licence? And was she needing it to vote?
I'd feel good about voting too. We have our municipal elections here on Monday.

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home