Saturday, January 20, 2007

My Take on 24

Dear David: Since you publicly wondered this week why I haven’t jumped on board the 24-bandwagon with the in-crowd of America, I have been thinking about my answer. It turns out to be more than just “I don’t do TV”, which for the most part I don’t.

After watching the first hour from Monday night, I have a much better idea of why this show hasn’t yet hooked me. Every show is a fast-paced series of incidents and problems to solve. In many ways, it reminds me of my workday, where often all I do is solve problems and put out fires for 8 or 9 hours. So after a day at work like that and 90 minutes of yoga to diminish all that stress, just about the last thing in the world I am seeking is somebody else’s action-packed life. My feeling after watching just one hour (I think it was 8:00 to 9:00) was identical to how I felt coming out of the recent James Bond movie, where I was sure there was a spy just around every corner and I was ready for all of them. That’s not exactly a recipe for sweet dreams.

The other thing I found appalling in Monday’s show was the stereotyping of terrorists as Middle Eastern men. Granted 24 has broken from tradition in casting a black President, the racial profiling of terrorists simply serves to reenforce the lesson that America started to learn just a few years ago. I am amazed that any of those men would even take the parts, to be depicted in their orange jumpsuits, looking just like those unfortunate foreigners being held in Guantanamo today. I suppose they couldn’t have gotten away with Polynesian women as terrorists, but the slight to those from the Middle East was just too over the top for me.

I may continue to watch from time to time, but I am far from hooked. I will gladly share your bed, be your dinner date, and travel to the end of the earth with you, but TV on Monday night? – no promises, not just yet. Just remind yourself how boring it would be if we liked entirely the same things. And be glad that we are so compatible when it comes to sex, food, and travel.

With love,
B

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

B - your point is well taken about stereotyping although it is difficult to ignore the reality of the world today. and it is definitely an adrenaline rush - no doubt about it. thanks for clarifying things, but i'm not giving up yet :-)

4:37 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

The point is that I don't need an adrenaline rush. I think I gave up that need when I quit riding roller coasters -- let's see... about 25 years ago.

No one could fault you for not being persistent!

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your back and forth! Blogs as a way to improve communication? Who knew!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

It all depends on my mood whether I like certainshows or not. I see your point, but some other people may think it actually helps them escape their hectic day since the TV show would be a lot worse by comparison. Maybe their day wouldn't seem so bad and they could feel relief.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Jamy -- For a long time I have thought of my Blog as a free form of psychotherapy, but couples therapy? You're right -- who knew?

MOI -- For me (if I were to watch TV), relief would come in the form of Seinfeld or some snarky sitcom. Too much reality in my face is more than I can take.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home