Friday, December 29, 2006

An Unexpected Gift


I will probably most remember Gerald Ford as the President who gave me a 4-day weekend. The timing of his death was most fortunate for all of us Federal workers who now have the next 4 days off.

I remember President Ford as a nice guy, who inherited the Presidency. I can’t think of a thing of great note that he did while in office. He kept his nose clean and didn’t speed up our already rising rate of inflation. Although he couldn’t walk and chew gum at the same time, he comes off as basically a nice guy who lived a very full life. We probably actually remember more about his wife as a person because of her admission to addiction.

As I look ahead at 4 days of freedom, I’m already starting to see the time just slip away as it seems most often to do. I start out with great plans – some cleaning projects, walking the dogs, practicing the piano, maybe a movie, cooking some typical New Year’s food (but definitely not black eyed peas and hog jowl). You know, best laid plans.

Lately I have reached the end of so many weekends saying if I had just one more day, I could maybe have accomplished something.

Well, I have it – one more day, that is. We’ll see if it actually makes a difference.

In any event, thank you President Ford for dying when you did so as to give us another day of our own. May you rest in peace.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

It's funny. As a contractor, I don't get Tuesday off but I already planned to take a day of leave. Now I don't have to worry about missing meetings. I guess that's a good thing.

I wish I'd known more about Ford earlier. He seems like a pretty good man.

12:17 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I've had Black-eyed peas as a garnich for Clam chowder... before you go "eeyyww" give it a try...or replace the Hog jowl with a nice piece 0f roadt Beef...hold it .. this just in...i'm having a Blackeyed pea Brainstorm... have you ever heard of an 'Arkansas Traveler"? I just Googled it and got "squat", but at at one of the finest country Clubs in FW this is a house specialty;
Sliced Turkey served on an open face Cornbread Slab, topped with Mashed Potatoes, Brown gravy Blackeyed Peas and Red Onion...
now you can say yuck if you like but how will you ever know if you don't try it? Happy New Year, Barbara and Dave!!!!

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta have hot sauce and onion on the BEP's

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve, if you cook it, I'll be willing to try it. Have a Happy New Year.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Don't think I've ever had BEP's! What's the difference in taste from reg. sweet peas?

Hope you get some of what's on your list done...the rest? Just relax and let things happen!

7:46 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I can see there are some black-eyed-peas-lovers out there. My memory of BEPs was the awful smell when they were on the menu at my elementary school. They just tasted like mushed ashes to me.

I'm with David -- Steve, if you cook them, I'll give them another try.

And OL, onions and hot sauce make most anything edible.

MOI -- I guess BEPs didn't make it to Canada. They taste nothing like sweet green peas. You have to make a visit to the south!

It's often funny to see the one thing people have an opinion about...

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No opinion about BEPs but I like imagining I'll get things done even if I don't get to any of them. Just thinking I'll be productive makes me feel better, lol.

8:45 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Maybe what I should say is "Blackeyed Peabrain Storm!!!

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home