Wednesday, December 27, 2006

That Week In-Between

I'm in charge this week while my boss is away. If everyone were here, it might be a big deal because there are probably 70 people in our division. But I am in charge of a bunch of empty offices and perhaps a dozen or so hearty souls who either didn't have enough leave to take off or had nothing better to do than come to work.

In many ways the government would probably save money by just telling everyone to stay home during the week between Christmas and New Years. It's hopeless to think of having meetings or making decisions or getting policy memos out the door. It is just a week where people can do all of those nasty things they have been saving for a slow day.

The few people in my immediate area are doing things like checking to make sure important systems cross over the year boundary with no glitches. But other than that they are just preparing for work that will happen when everyone gets back.

I miss the "Ten Days of Eating" that happened just outside my door in the countdown to Christmas. I was tempted numerous times by all sorts of homemade food as various groups tried to outdo each other. A bag of stale cookies is all that remains.

I even miss the shouting matches with all those people I have been fighting with. Did I really say that? At least it exercised my lungs and my brain.

As Reya pointed out, there are some good things in the Blog world to read this week. Not many people are posting, but those who are have interesting things to say.

So we'll drift through the week in-between and soon embrace the New Year, when things will be poppin' once again. I will no longer be in charge, but that's just fine with me.

9 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

I don't understand the mentality that makes people come in despite there being no real work. I remember begging my bosses to go home (even without pay), but they would't let me - just in case something came up.

At one place I worked we got flack because we would sit around playing cards while waiting for the women on the assembly line to finish work so we could proceed with testing and calibration. The women complained that they were working and we were sitting around playing cards.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always loved the week in between, because:

* No meetings!
* I could do whatever I wanted
* Long lunches and chats with whomever was around
* It was so quiet and unstressful

11:46 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Richard -- I am the boss this week "just in case something comes up." I hadn't thought of it like that, but you got it!

DD -- Even dessert and recess get old if you have too much of them. Yesterday was nice, but today is starting to be BORING!

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it when it is quiet because I can catch up on all those extra projects I have to do!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'm frustrated with the lack of response to my email. It's hard to get much done when you rely on people and they actually take vacation. All of them. At the same time.

2:40 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Last time they left me in charge everyone walked out...

2:50 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

OL -- Are talking about "extra projects" at work, or is this extra projects at home like cleaning out the closets?

Kristin -- I have the same frustration. The big gaps above and below me mean that most decisions will wait until at least next week. Argh!

Steve -- I'm starting to understand how putting you in charge could result in surprises!

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Projects at work.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

It is kind of a nothing week, "no man's land" type of thing depending on what work you do. My husband's chiropractic office had the whole town phoning claiming they were an emergancy and needed to be seen that day! It sure wasn't due to shoveling snow or skiing as we have no snow! The phone was ringing off the hook!
Probably stress making problems they already have worse.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home