Monday, February 12, 2007

Newly Converted


Count me as one of the converted. I've seen the light. Airborne is my constant companion these days when there's even a hint of a cold coming on.
For years I have poo-pooed this over-the-counter prophylactic and remedy for the common cold. My husband has been preaching Airborne for years as I just sniffled and asked for cough drops and another box of Kleenex.
Saturday at Temple Micah, the person sitting next to me in the choir admittedly had a doosy of a fresh new cold. She was sneezing and blowing and singing right next to me for 3 hours. There's only so much breath-holding and hand-washing you can do in a situation like this. I was pretty sure I was doomed.
Sure enough by 3 AM on Sunday morning, I woke up achy and with a sore throat. I determined that this was indeed a true test for Airborne. For me the sore throat is the trademark of a cold. Jake gave me one of those "What-the-F___-are-you-getting-up-for-this-is-the-middle-of-the-night?" looks as I dragged myself out of bed and trudged downstairs to make an Airborne cocktail.
I much prefer the Pink Grapefruit flavor over Lemon Lime. They are both rather gross and leave a telltale residue on the glass. But early Sunday morning I decided that I really didn't mind the flavor if the Pink Grapefruit fizz worked.
I got out of bed several hours later, still feeling lethargic, but miraculously the sort throat was gone. I had another round of Airborne with breakfast.
By the time I finished playing music with Deborah around 12 noon, all symptoms were gone and I had renewed energy.
I asked her professional opinion of Airborne and received a polite, "It can't hurt you." But clearly she doesn't believe for a minute that this stuff works.
I now have a supply at work and at home and I will not hesitate to break it out if the occasion arises. I have seen the light and been saved from the common cold. Halleluya!

8 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I might need to reconsider my stance on meds. I've been sneezy for months and I'm not completely convinced it's "just allergies."

11:51 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I hate taking medicine of any kind, but I also hate colds. I'm not sure how effective Airborne would be against a chronic condition.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I use it just before i'm airborne and also the first day of school and any time there are more than two kids out of class at a time with the sniffles. I haven't had a cold yet...(knocking othe side of my head to avert disaster).

6:36 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Yours sounds like an official endorsement, given it was designed for teachers!

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallelujah - you have seen the light, finally. Welcome to the flock of the airborne converts!

5:14 PM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

I think it has the same ingredients that I take individually. First and foremost, I take a vitamin supplement complex developed by a local doctor, Dr. Bergsteiner made of Thymic fractions, essential vitamins and minerals. That works well with every day prevention. If I feel something threatening, 50mg Zinc once a day, with Ecinesia(sp) and primrose oil. It does work better than just taking cold medications.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Liz Wetterhahn said...

Hmm...I've never tried Airborne but that is quite the endorsement. Have you ever tried Cold-fX? The thing about it that appeals to me is that you don't have to drink anything - it comes in pill form (I have a major aversion to drinking medicine). My friends swear by the stuff!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Don't Be Silent DC said...

I must be taking it wrong...I bought the Airborne To Go (the one you put in water) and the next day I caught a cold I'm still not over yet.

I was really hoping it would work...and it was on sale at Wal-Mart!

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home