Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Just Dreaming


When I get up in the morning, I find myself asking, "What would I do if I didn’t have to go to work, if I were retired? Just how might I spend my day?" Here are a few ideas just for starters:

– Do a complete workout in the basement gym.
– Reward myself with a feast for breakfast.
– Read the newspaper cover to cover, except for the classifieds.
– Read the New Yorker the day it comes.
– Go to the library and check out an exciting book to read.
– Go the latest exhibit at the National Gallery.
– Learn a new piece of music.
– Take a class in how to write poetry.
– Volunteer to help Hispanic construction workers learn to read.
– Go to a movie with my husband – one of those afternoon special price ones with a discount for seniors.
– Take my dogs for a walk. Throw Jake’s Kong until he drops in exhaustion (that takes a long time).
– Meet a friend for lunch.
– Ride my bike on scenic trails.
– Cook ethnic food, preferably with someone.
– Play a lot of music with a lot of different people.
– Take a nap.
– Have sex in the afternoon.
– Sleep as long as I want to at night.
– Go visit my children and also see friends around the country.
– Travel to Timbuktu and back maybe going around the world.
– Be silly and laugh a lot.

I didn’t realize how many things I had been saving up for retirement. This sounds like the best part of my life just over the next bend. There are still a few bumps in the road, but I am getting there. I really am.

14 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

You already do some of these things sometimes, like a tasty appetizer of what's to come! Bravo!! You are getting there.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

My list gets longer every day. I rejoice in it!

And for me the dream will become a reality in June.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It's funny how much we have in common. I do so many of these things on my weekends and occasional mental health days. This just reinforces my affection and envy as you get closer to actually doing it.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Then why to deny yourself?

Is work really worth it?

My answer is no. I only do it for the money because I am not financially independent.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

A good start for a list of retirement to-dos! In six years (when I can finally retire) I will volunteer at the school where I now work, knowing I will never be able to spend a whole day without small people in it somewhere. I want to volunteer in the maternity ward at the hospital too, holding babies who have no one else to hold them. Add to that a yen for travel, a desire for afternoon naps, woods and meadow walks that take up a whole day and spending whole weeks at a time with the grandkids instead of just a weekend, I forsee a happy and active retirement. I hope yours turns out to be the same. Come visit me!

6:26 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- You will always be my first pick for a friend to do lunch with.

Kate -- Who knows, I may beat you to it. Unfortunately my path will not be as carefully planned as yours. But I'm starting to understand your enthusiasm.

Kristin -- Maybe we can play together when I retire and you have a day off for one reason or another.

Richard -- I love the fact that I really am not working for the money. It was simply because I wanted to finish what I started. But if someone denies me that chance, I obviously will not be sitting around twiddling my thumbs.

Pauline -- YES, YES, YES! I will come visit you and enjoy your birds and all the other nature around you. I can't wait!

On the way home from work, I couldn't turn off the faucet that I had allowed to drip in order to write this. It had become a torrent with reminders that I had left out:

-- Get a massage. Maybe even a spa day or weekend, even better.
-- Get a manicure, a pedicure.
-- Learn to play jazz.
-- Go on a picnic.
-- Learn how to do a few techy things that I have always avoided. Did I really say that?
-- Continue to help the Hispanic families that live near my office by working with their children and helping them arrange repairs and other things that require English.
-- Continue to study my religion.

This is SO much fun! I am not going to be bored for a minute!

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great plan!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

And remember.........don't "plan" to much, but let some things happen naturally..............

With great, great affection,

Kate

10:35 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Don't you just hate it when people don't preview their messages and edit errors? duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh


too much NOT "to much"

10:37 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

David -- The COOL thing is you are so much a part of this plan!

Kate -- I promise not to overplan, but I bet I will anyway. And I don't mind if people make errors, but I am the same way you are when I'm the one making the mistake...

10:47 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Your head is getting around that possibility more and more. You won't believe how great it will be...you'll feel like you just got your life back! And your husband's on board! I say go for it. Go for enjoying life to the max for the last 1/3 of your life in this world.

(You can also visit your kids plus any future grandchildren any time you want!)

7:05 AM  
Blogger Jamy said...

What a great list! I've always worried, though, that without a job and some structure, I'd end up sitting around doing nothing all day.

Maybe I would for a while, then that would get boring and I would get back to "work."

9:57 AM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Remain in my inertia for at least a week, with my cats and dogs.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Don't Be Silent DC said...

Wow...what a list! Shows that there's more to your life than that job!

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home