Monday, March 05, 2007

Finally a Birthday Celebration

It was about time after 2-1/2 weeks that we celebrate my husband’s 60th birthday. The weather and people's busy schedules made him wait this year. In his non-conformist style, he opted for a birthday pie instead of a cake. I found a recipe by none other than Martha Stewart. At first I was daunted by all those pastry leaves, but actually it was far easier to cut out and draw veins in 24 leaves than to make a lattice crust. Anyway for someone who sucks at making pies, this one actually turned out well. Martha goes for straight blueberry taste – no spices, no lemon, just piles of blueberries.

The rest of the menu included osso buco with piselli (peas) and risotto with a mix of wild mushrooms. The osso buco had simmered in wine and stock for 2 hours and was practically falling apart. That and risotto are such comfort food. European style, we had a salad chock full of bosc pears, avocado, and walnuts with lots of mixed greens, needing something a little sweet to follow the spicy lemony veal.

I finally inaugurated all 8 placemats and napkins made from the French Provincial print. It’s always nice to entertain people who know my kitchen well enough to help serve and appreciate my dogs enough not to mind taking home some Jake and Dylan hair on their nice clothes.

Happy 60th to David. This marked the end of birthday season.

11 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Beautiful and delicious......what more could the man want?

:)

9:29 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Maybe a party a little closer to his real birthday. I did actually get him a present he can enjoy for a while -- 5 seasons of "24" since he is such a fan and missed the first 3 years.

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that sounds and looks awesome too.Yummy. Great job I must say. Happy Birthday David.
Drop into my blog on birthday ecards for some beautiful e-greeting cards and other interesting info.

1:14 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Birthdays are always better when they're stretched out. The pie so beautifully follows your blue/yellow theme. Was it as good as it looks? I love your posts on food and family - my imagination places me firmly in one of those chairs, savoring every bite and sighing happily at the ambiance :)

6:34 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- I hadn't even thought about the pie being color-coordinated! You can take one of those chairs anytime you care to visit.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I think I have to go and eat lunch now. Mouthwatering pie. Literally.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Don't Be Silent DC said...

Nice!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

I prefer a fruit flan to a cake, but a nice fruit pie will do.

Dinner sounded good too.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Was it as good as it looks?"
Answer: Better! Fantastic dinner - well worth the wait. Great evening - super food and super friends.

1:37 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Wow! I'm so impressed that you even make pies let alone have a Martha recipe turn out perfectly, just like the magazine!
I love the way everything on the table looked so cheery and spring-like!
I'm sure David loved this celebration of a Hallmark in his life!

6:57 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

WOW!!!
After looking at that Pie I might be a little intimidated to come cook with you! i know you must have been proud...it looks terrific!
(once you start doing it its a lot easier than it sounds at first, and the second time doubly so)

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home