Monday, February 26, 2007

Win-Winning

In a win-win situation, you can’t lose – right? Ironically as of today, that’s where I find myself at work. Nothing has really changed yet, but in a sense everything has changed.

I fired off my e-mail to the big boss today, copying my boss on the message. I have yet to get an acknowledgment.

BUT in the meantime I have suddenly realized that no matter what happens, I WIN. If they decide to take me seriously and reverse a couple of key decisions and start listening to me in general, I will perhaps stay a while longer, but not a long while. If they don’t, I can start planning the greatest happy hour ever and set a date for freedom.

Interestingly enough, my boss didn’t mention this at all in our weekly one-on-one meeting today. She was more interested than usual in what I was working on and the status of everything. In a meeting she and I attended at 12 noon (believe it or not), she actually asked my opinion in front of the group of big-wigs.

One of the first things I did this morning was to sit down with 2 colleagues who as of a month ago were firmly in my court and who failed to back me up last week to find out what had happened. The bottom line was they had decided to back the boss instead of the right thing to do. They will not be coming to the happy hour.

I went through the rest of the day feeling like a cloud had been lifted and with it the weight of the world. I think WIN-WIN has such a nice ring to it, don’t you?

9 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Congratulations! Win-win definitely has a great ring to it. I'm glad you feel better.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Don't Be Silent DC said...

Win-win...I think so, too! It's a positive step in the right direction!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

"It's all good," to quote a young colleague of mine.

As you know I am in Arizona looking for a retirement home. I went to a lot of open houses on Sunday with my friends Pat & Jack. This was an excellent way to get to know the area, as well as see a variety of floor plans and divide in my mind's inventory, ideas I had conceived about "what I want" vs "what I need."

I am already enamored of the environment.........the desert, the architecture and colors that predominate here, and the pace of life.

I wish you the best as your decision unfolds about your future. As you said, it is a win/win situation, and thus "it's all good!"

Hugs from Kate

8:13 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

The crack in the garage was a huge sign from the universe, you know? So glad you're feeling lighter and more prepared for whatever happens. You will prevail, no matter what decision you make. Bravo!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Jamy said...

I'm so impressed with this attitude. For selfish reasons, I hope you stick around a little longer fighting the good fight--but, personally, I'm so glad you found a way you can be at peace with any outcome.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

I am glad you are at ease with either outcome, let us just hope there is not some third way.

1:50 PM  
Blogger EJ Takes Life said...

Being happy with any outcome is the biggest luxury one can have in a bad work situation. Congrats on your great attitude and leaving on a good note.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

It is most certainly a No-Lose anyway which = You Win!
So for now all you have to do is feel good! I'm glad for you to have come to the conclusion that you don't have to stay.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement. I am no saint actually, so don't think I'm not angry as hell about this. But it is good to know that it WILL have a positive outcome for me.

Reya -- I think you're right about the crack in the garage. That's precisely the time my plan to really get out started to crystalize.

Kate -- Better be careful, I may sneak out the door before you do! Happy house-hunting. Just don't buy a house in Arizona with a big green lawn.

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home