Saturday, February 24, 2007

Same Difference


I was somewhat excited about responding to the meme posed by David this week because he was the originator. It was not just something handed down like some random chain letter. His 60th birthday prompted him to think about ways he has changed over the last half of his life and ways he is just the same. So here goes my version of this story.

Samesnesses

– I still have the same fears of deep water and going downhill fast.
– I still have bad skin that disagrees with the sun and a gait that is characteristically abnormal.
– I’m still ferociously determined when I think I am right. I will go to great lengths to defend something I think is important or to make something happen.
– I still have a thing for remembering numbers – like telephone numbers – and doing math in my head instead of using a calculator.
– I’m still a technophobe despite the fact that I make my living working with computers. I just have no interest in the constantly enlarging set of hi tech – cell phone, iPOD, HD TV. I’m sure if I wanted to I could make these things useful parts of my life, but the urge simply isn’t there and probably won’t ever be.

Differences

– Perhaps the biggest difference is the fact that I am no longer a token Jew, but rather I have embraced with love my adopted religion. It is an integral part of my life, much more important to me than my birth religion ever was.
– I have learned the importance of touch, something that was largely absent in my upbringing, but which is so important to my well-being. I have learned the importance of a heartfelt hug.
– Although I still prefer classical music, I have started listening to and thinking about the words of songs. The words provide another dimension to the music.
– I WRITE every day. For so many years I thought about things, but I didn’t write down my feelings or reactions to life. This Blog has revolutionized my life.
– Following in my mother’s footsteps, I have gradually let go of the insistence that the kitchen be spotless when I go to bed and that my closets and drawers be straight enough for an open house. I have come to realize that in the end no one is ever really judged by whether her refrigerator is clean. In the final analysis, it just doesn’t matter.

I think that’s enough. So, my faithful editor and meme originator, what did I leave out?

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright - since you asked:

Same

*Still one of the kindest, most generous people I know

Different

* You're more beautiful than ever (that should win me a few brownie points :-) But, it's true)

* You can drive a stick shift

* You now love brisket and lox

* Your hair has gotten a lot shorter and your skirts a lot longer

12:55 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

WOW! You racked up a pile of brownie points. I meant to include the stick shift accomplishment. This is one of my few victories over a sort-of-techy fear.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Beyond brownie points, if you ask me!

David is right - you are most definitely one of the kindest and most generous people ever!

Now Barbara there are people who would judge you on the cleanliness of your refrig. But - who cares what they think?

5:03 PM  
Blogger GeurinkMJ said...

I love the whole idea of looking at your changes, the ways you've stayed the same. It made me think. A lot. And, of course, envy you your relationship. You seem a good balance. :)

I admire the ability to remember numbers. I'm a little dyslexic with numbers, which is funny given that I do finance. (Don't tell my client.)

8:26 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Sorry. That last one was me. I didn't realize that I was logged in as Mike. I really shouldn't have hijacked his computer, but they're singing and I'm ridiculously untalented. I just wanted to check on my friends.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- No one I care about cares about my refrigerator. Now, please don't tell me that you care!

Kristin -- How funny! I thought I had a new reader, but the thought went through my mind, "This sounds like someone I might already know." And so it was. You must be having fun in someone's company. We missed you this afternoon. You must meet the two girls I had coffee with. Also, I'm making a plan for you and Jamy to come over to dinner sometime since you both seem to have found David's Blog also.

8:37 PM  
Blogger avocadoinparadise said...

It was nice to meet you today! Very fun gathering. I linked to you! =)

9:10 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Your kindness comes across in your blog-definitely-
I think its cool that despite being a tekkie as a job, you consider yourself technophobic...
Like you, i didn't do any writing until this blog thing got a hold of me...quite enjoyable... and ithas been in large part due to you that I have kept it up
Yes, someday we are going to do a little cookoing and eating and play a little Badminton, I do declare.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Avocado -- I'm so glad to have made a new Blog acquaintance. I'm looking forward to enjoying your Blog.

Steve -- Hugs a-plenty. Cooking and badminton with you are high up there on my list of things to do. I will make it happen somehow!

8:31 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I like that you can now let go of the "perfectly kept kitchen" and now look carefully at lyrics of music.
May David will get axctual Brownies! Have you always loved to cook?
(My post is up on this tag.)

1:30 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- David is currently not eating dairy, white flour, or sugar, so brownies would be a little tough.

Yes, I have loved to cook since I left home and realized I had to learn how. I'm an experimenter, whereas my mother was strictly a recipe girl. Probably why my rate of success has some dips and she was a never-fail sort of cook.

Loved your post on this topic.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I look forward to dinner.

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home