Saturday, March 24, 2007

That Was the Week That Was

Well, this has certainly been a roller coaster week. So what did I learn?

– My decision to retire was well-timed. I see the whole office infrastructure becoming tenuous and people are saying things like “I wish I could join you.”
– Some of my staff are questioning whether they want to stay on under the current regime.
– My ego is soaring as people hear my news and stop by my office to say nice things.
– The jerks are still just as jerky as ever.
– Diplomatic cars NEVER beep their horns when they see the “Save Darfur” posters. They either don’t have hearts and brains or they are under strict orders not to take a side.
– Parking meters in Chinatown (DC) must be fed until 9:30 PM. I paid the $25 ticket which I got when I went to the Blogger Meetup.
– I must NEVER EVER leave the gate without the safety latch on because Jake checks every time he goes out.
– Jake knows how to come home.
– Dylan still does not.
– 24 hours is not enough time in which to declare a dog or a person dead and gone. Not even 36.
– There are anonymous angels out there doing things like reporting stranded dogs. Thank you to the one who saved Dylan from his entrapment.
– Dylan is a lot more spry that I thought. He may be with us for quite a while longer.
– The owners of dogs without a license in Fairfax County are subject to a $100 if their dogs have to be picked up by Animal Welfare. We're trying to work a deal on this one.
– I’m learning how NOT to plan a party. I picked my favorite foods instead of a theme of related foods. My patient party planner is slowly steering me in the right direction. We’re going for Cinco de Mayo (date and food).
– A gray blank day does not inspire a blank mind to write much of anything worth reading, so instead this is all you get for today. Maybe tomorrow will have some color and texture to it that will inspire me to write something interesting.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought it was a nice summary and some insightful observations. plus, you kept your blog record intact of never missing a day :-)

1:14 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

On the contrary - nothing we learn should be considered uninteresting. You learned a lot this past week! I especially liked the comment about 36 hours not being enough time to consider a dog or a person dead and gone. I enjoy coming here to read even when you feel you have nothing to say :)

7:35 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

David -- I'd like to think I'm not quite as obsessive as you describe!

Pauline -- Isn't there a saying "One person's garbage is another person's treasure"? Maybe it applied to words as well.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

I believe I may have seen you and the "boys" out for a stroll this morning. I was on Leesburg Pike headed to 395 & my office in DC. Sort of noticed a lady dogwalker with two gentlemen friends on leashes out of the corner of my eye. By that time I had passed this scene and caught a glimpse out the rearview mirror. Was it Mom and her boys?

Hugs,

1:14 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

It's good to review a week like you've had just like this. And what's Cinqo de Mayo?

3:15 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I enjoyed the list. Learning is always good.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kate -- I was playing with the "boys" in the back yard instead. Dylan is much more content to just hang out around home.

MOI -- Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican holiday that commemorates Mexico's triumph over the French in La Battala de Puebla in 1862.

Kristin -- I really appreciate your support through this rough week. We shared some fun moments amid the stressful ones of my week.

7:07 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

Spencer and I are rejoicing at Dylan's return. Just in time for Easter, it's the resurrection of Dog.

1:52 AM  
Blogger Don't Be Silent DC said...

[N]othing we learn should be considered uninteresting[.]

That's right...each day is a chance to learn something new and reflect on it.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MediaConcepts -- The image of Dylan rising from the dead is powerful! I mean really, GOD and DOG have a lot in common, no?

GoldenSilence -- Sometimes I don't like learning lessons. But sometimes they are necessary.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home