Friday, May 18, 2007

Waking Up is Hard to Do

For the longest time I have been unable to understand anyone not wanting to get out of bed in the morning. For a very long time I have been achy and stiff when I woke up, only feeling better when I got out of bed and moved and stretched.

From the introduction of the Sleep Number bed last week, I have sensed a difference. Every day has improved as I changed the setting down and finally up, once again feeling sort of like Goldilocks looking for the perfect bed.

But today I got it right. It turns out the 60 is the magic number for me. I can lie on either side or even on my back and it feels like I’m floating on a cloud. There is absolutely no tension in my back or hips or anywhere else in my body.

The funny thing is the times my husband and I wake up are actually converging. Never did I think this would happen. I often got up at 5:30 or even earlier when I was working. For many years he has slept until 8:30 or 9:00 most days. Today I woke up (without an alarm) at 8:20. He got up at 8:40. There was a brief moment as I lay there enjoying the mattress cloud feeling when his eyelids fluttered open.

We’ve both joked that one of our goals in retirement is to get on the same sleep schedule. It would appear that I’m headed toward his. That’s OK. As much as I like the early morning light, I also like the feeling of waking up together.

But more than that I like the idea of waking up without all that pain and stiffness that must have been associated with our old mattress. I would be a good ad for the importance of a mattress suited to your personal requirements. It really makes a lot of sense!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(bowing) I would (ahem) like to take just a wee bit of credit for steering us to the Healthy Back Store where we found the Sleep Comfort Bed and for convincing you along with my chiropractor to adjust your setting to something firmer. Maybe a whole new line of work - sleep/bed consultant. What do you think?

7:03 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Ironic as it may sound, my husband, the athletic chiropractor, often wakes up with stiffness in his lower back, and his wife always does! We have a good firm mattress but my problem is a deteriorated lowest disk, and he has a disk problem too. It is amazing how much better it feels after about 15 minutes of just being up and walking around.

I get up at 7:00 or earlier since the sun comes streaming in at 6:15 and both cats are scratcing at the door wanting to be let out. I make the coffee and bring it up to my husband so he can get ready for his first patient, who is often booked at 8:15....mind you, he doesn't have a long commute!

7:56 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

David -- Is this going to be a volunteer position or a paying job?! :)

Yes, you get a lot of the credit, although I do recall being the one who suggested the bed where we could each dial our preference.

MOI -- Maybe you and your husband would enjoy the be bed we got. It is so amazing because each of us had a dial and we can control the firmness of our side of the bed. His commute sounds enviable!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Hello, I am blog-hopping. We too bought a sleep number bed. We bought one with a pillow top, and I end up with my number as 100. I am glad that you have found something that works for you. That stiff and achy feeling in the morning sure can slow you down during the day.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Ulysses said...

The right bed makes a big difference, but there's also something about finally getting enough sleep that might also be at play.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MJD -- Welcome! I found your Blog also and think we could have a lot in common.

Ulysses -- Yes! Waking up on my own without the need of an alarm clock reminds me of being a baby. It's been a long time since I relied on my internal clock. I will never miss the jarring sound of an alarm clock, even if it was playing music I liked.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

The sleep and waking naturally, with your husband, sounds incredible. That's what life's all about, sweet dreams, good sleep, and waking up with someone you love.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Luella Writes said...

Hi Barbara,

We at Select Comfort are so happy to hear about your experience with the Sleep Number bed. Not only are you and your husband experiencing better sleep but also syncing up sleep schedules! Customer satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your positive response.

We encourage you to continue to share your Sleep Number bed story. Personal testimonials may be submitted to our Web site at www.sleepnumber.com or at product review sites including www.epinions.com. Thank you again!

Take care,
LeeAnn Rasachak
Select Comfort, Public Relations

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home