Sunday, July 15, 2007

Where's the Heat?

I am frozen to the core. Why didn’t anyone remind me to bring a sweatshirt? And I was ready to sizzle?

The weather at Chautauqua is never what I am expecting. The first year I came up here, I thought NORTH means colder. So I brought long sleeves and sweaters and I sweltered in a 95-degree heat wave with no air conditioning. Last year was similar, with the sweat streaming down my face in my un-air-conditioned practice cabin.

But this year it is unseasonably cool – about 62 degrees as I sit out here on the front porch writing. Literally everyone walking by has a sweatshirt or jacket on and long pants or a long skirt. I have exactly one pair of jeans and my long green Costco skirt. They will get a lot of use.

I may head over to the book store later and splurge on a Chautauqua sweatshirt. I’m sure my housemates will get tired of seeing me in it but it will keep me warm.

I was even cold last night as I slept in our king-size bed. Maybe we should have taken the room with the double bed. Body heat is a nice way to stay warm.

Despite the cold weather, I have already been reminded several times why I love this place. The absence of cars is refreshing. Seeing children running around free without the worry of their parents is reassuring. And hearing a 23-year-old pianist from the Ukraine play Tchaikovsky’s Piano Concerto with the symphony last night was something I will remember forever.

Today we’ll go on a bike ride, wander over to the practice cabins, and do a group-cooking dinner that is reminiscent of the days of living with roommates.

I love this beautiful piece of America and the magic it works on me every year!

4 Comments:

Blogger Aileen said...

Sounds beautiful and nourishing for the soul!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Sounds just like the various camp weather I knew at camps! But we sure didn't have king size beds! The old narrow army cots were a given!
The group meal sounds cool. Any campfire singing?

1:37 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

You're such a Floridian - it would likely never occur to you to bring a sweater. Glad you've warmed up, though!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Aileen -- Exactly.

MOI -- David and I ended up cooking last night, so that means we get the next 2 off! He grilled chicken and I made a made-up eggplant-tomato-rice dish with Indian spices. No campfire singing -- not yet anyway.

Reya -- Old habits die hard. The morning chill is still on and I am shivering just a little. Maybe today I'll go buy that sweatshirt.

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home