Sunday, October 21, 2007

Dressing Up

Gewels inspired me to dig out some photos of my children in home-made costumes over the years as I ponder the many possibilities for Halloween.

This little clown obviously was still in need of a changing table. You can also see Schnizzy, our deadly dumb dachshund, who had every malady known to the canine world.

A few yards of colored net was all it took to make dance attire for my daughter and a friend.

We have always had a neighborhood Fourth of July parade with Popsicles for everyone at the bottom of the hill. This particular 4th we went for red, white, and blue.


And here's Kermit getting ready to go trick-or-treating. Does this look familiar, Gewels?

When my daughter was 6, all the girls in our neighborhood wanted to be brides.

Here's the Little Mermaid in a red wig and her brother, the Chess King, who looks just slightly like a character out of a Harry Potter movie.

My daughter is the clown being attacked by Frankinstein.

A costume reinvents a child at least for an evening!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Thanks for sharing. These are great!

10:45 PM  
Blogger Jamy said...

I'm kind of jealous--my mom never made a costume in her life. She didn't really know how or have the time.

I wonder, given that you were working when your kids were little, how did you find time for this? Or was it easy since you are skilled with a sewing machine.

I also admire the creativity that went into these costumes. That was also lacking in my household.

8:11 AM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

Great photos!

What lovely memories your kids must have and how talented are you! I think I'd eat these before I'd have the patience to finish them!

Its a pity you couldn't go with your first wish ... to pass them on to the group kids ... but very sensitive and thoughtful of you not to.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- Yeah, they bring back a lot of memories!

Jamy -- I must have been able to get by on less sleep back then when I was raising children and working full-time and making costumes. I'm sure I used my time more wisely than I do now, but I was probably a lot more stressed out.

Rise -- I'm sure the children are going to love making their own costumes out of the bits and pieces I collect from friends. It's amazing what people have in their attics!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

These are so precious and your daughter is a real cutie here as I'm sure she is now. Kids are so lucky to have many photos of themselves as kids right through life. I don't have one single pic from Hallowe'en and maybe one or two from Christmas.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

And are they okay with this being posted for the world to see?

"Stop it mom! You're embarrassing me!"

:D

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home