Monday, October 22, 2007

Helping Is Contagious

I have always believed most people really want to help the less fortunate. They just need a little inspiration sometimes. It’s sort of like a domino effect once it gets going.

I’ve told quite a few people about the reading program, many of whom say, “An hour a month, of course I can handle that.” I just sent the link for The Reading Connection to three friends. One lives about 5 minutes from the shelter where I will be reading. Two others work at the Census Bureau, which is only about 10 minutes away. All are more than willing to read in Anacostia.

After looking at those pictures of my kids, I just felt the need to make something. So I went to Joann’s to buy some fabric to make a couple of ballerina costumes. They will be pretty much one-size-fits-all, so any of the girls can wear them.

As I was standing in line to pay, I mentioned to the woman ahead of me in what I was doing. It turns out that she works at The Papery in Arlington. She said they had a huge bag of paper products which her boss asked her to get rid of. I was wondering if they have an expiration date?! Anyway, she offered to discard it to me if I thought the shelter could use paper plates and napkins. Of course they can!

I stopped by my friend Kris’s house today and saw a growing pile of costume parts in her basement. She has found everything from a lacy white tablecloth that can be turned into a ghost to multi-colored “Genie” pants to Mardi Gras necklaces. Fun stuff!

So instead of heading off to the beach tomorrow, I will be stitching tutus in pink, lavender, and turquoise and adding elasticized sequins at the waist. Just the kind of project I love to do!

2 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

Perfect! And it's this "I see a need, let's do something about it" attitude of yours that is so needed and appreciated. You're an inspiration.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

How wonderful! I'd offer to help sew, but for everyone's sake, perhaps it's best if I lean toward other avenues of support..

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home