Monday, November 12, 2007

Just a Little Piece of Heart

Could it be that the reason San Francisco is such a uniquely great city is because everyone who comes there does leave just a little bit of heart behind?

It was a very long travel day today. We were up at 4:00 a.m. to be picked up at 4:55 for a 7:00 flight. By the time you ride on 2 planes and apply the 3-hour time change, the day is gone.

I must say I loved coming into Washington National Airport and seeing the Washington Monument. So most of my heart came home, but maybe that little piece did get left behind on Fillmore Street or on the Golden Gate Bridge or in the Cliff House or the Coit Tower. Who knows where those pieces of heart reside.

One of the reasons I’m happy to be home is one of my best and oldest friends is coming into town tomorrow to play tourist. She and her companion will make use of some of the extra beds and cars we have around these days.

Then there’s Eastern Market on Saturday. I have so many ideas of things I need to do before I will be ready to open up my “shop” of handmade items for all occasions. There are business cards to make, sachets to fill, elastic to be put in the doorknob covers, a sign of prices to be made, ...

I do hope someone shows up to see what I’ve been up to for the past month. If not, my Christmas / Hanukkah shopping is done!

But tonight I will unpack and stash the suitcase back in the attic to await some trip somewhere sometime. I’m home once again safe and sound.

10 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

It took me years to get my heart back from San Francisco. It's enchanting, literally. Welcome home!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

My sister is moving there next summer. I can't wait to make that city a regular stop in my yearly travels.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- I now understand why! Thanks for all the ideas you gave us for things to do while in SF.

Jessica -- Your sister, my daughter, and a whole lot of other people under 35 are gravitating to this mecca of opportunity and creativity. It's a very young and fun city!

1:46 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. And I love your avoidance of the "R" word when describing the DC airport. Was that deliberate on your part?

3:39 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Matt -- You bet it was deliberate. It will always be just "National" to me! Maybe next time I will make it down to SoCal so I can see how the rest of you mellow Californians live.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I think we leave a little piece of ourselves wherever we go but man, it is always so nice to get back to our own "pond" as I call it!

Glad you have such a full life right now and good luck selling your wares!

5:31 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

As much as I love SF, my most recent trip was not for pleasure. I did have some wonderful meals and some great walks, spent time with each of my sons, learned to ride the underground which I had never done....but I did not leave a piece of my heart there. I left my "entire" cell phone! Heaven only knows where it landed but since it was out of "juice," calling it did not work to jar someone into letting me know they might have it. If that's the worst that can happen to someone in a city I say it was time well spent! So glad you will have ample reason to go back since your daughter is there. Good luck to you and Reya with the Eastern Market venture. It's a smart idea and I only wish I could be browsing and stop to gawk & buy (of course).

Hugs,
Kate

7:37 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- It is really quite nice to be home.

Kate -- I hope you are OK. I can imagine that losing your cell phone could be quite traumatic if it contained your entire address book.

12:31 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Traumatic is a bit strong but it WAS incredibly frustrating.....and continues to be as I reconstruct my personal phone book. There was a time when I knew everyone's phone number by heart, but "in-phone" address books no longer require that.

1:08 PM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

Its lovely to travel but always nice to come back to the nest.

When you come back from being away, do you wander into every room in the house just to reacquaint yourself with it?

Good luck with the market venture!

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home