Saturday, December 22, 2007

Bisquick Alternative

Bisquick – a staple America depends on! But do you know what’s in it? Some bad things we’re warned against these days.

I grew up in a household where we didn’t use mixes. We made our biscuits, pancakes, and waffles from scratch or they didn’t happen. So, in my mother’s tradition, I had never purchased a box of Bisquick until yesterday.

And what prompted this big splurge of $1 at Harris Teeter? I’m making waffles with a friend on Sunday and her recipe calls for Bisquick.

The box was sitting there innocently on the kitchen counter when my husband happened to read the ingredients, which included saturated fat and trans fat. He declared he wouldn’t be eating those waffles.

So I Googled “Bisquick recipes” and found the following which couldn’t be easier:

Master Mix Substitute for Bisquick (from cooks.com)

½ c. baking powder
1/4 c. sugar
9 c. flour
1-1/4 c. canola oil

Sift flour, baking powder, and sugar into large mixing bowl. Sift one more time. Slowly add oil, cutting in with pastry blender, until mix is consistency of corn meal. Store in tightly covered container at room temperature or refrigerate.

Most of America probably isn’t aware of their consumption of the “bad fats” and it may not matter at all in the long run because we may well die from some natural disaster brought about by global warming. But my household will still be cooking from scratch and trying to stick to olive oil and other heart-friendly oils.

11 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I'm definitely a from-scratch kind of girl but I had no idea about the premade mixes. If I ever have call to use them, I'm going to think twice.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I had already pegged you as a "from scratch" cook! It's hardly worth buying something premade that contains only 4 ingredients, especially if one of them isn't good for you.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

You can't win because baking powder, unless you get the special kind at Whole Foods, is loaded with aluminum. Aluminum causes all kinds of brain damage and dementia.

David might avoid trans fat in the pancakes, but what about the syrup? Unless it's pure maple syrup, it's probably at least partially corn syrup which is loaded with high fructose corn syrup, the very thing that's caused the epidemic of diabetes in this country.

Dang man.

Food is poison and medicine, as my teacher always said. It depends on the portions and how you're feeling as to whether it helps or hurts.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- We're good to go on the pure maple syrup, but I didn't know about the baking powder (and I'm not telling this morning.)

Sometimes it seems eating is like going through an obstacle course!

8:41 AM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Not 2 minutes ago I was thinking of this very same thing, as I was mixing a batch of corn muffins (from scratch) and how easy it is even without a boxed mix.

I read labels- but unless you only eat organic (from your own garden) then you'll be ingesting all kinds of ingredients that are "bad" for you no matter how hard you try. And, you're right- we'll all die of something sooner or later.

BTW- I'm serving the muffins with sliced ham and cranberry relish as part of a brunch today. I'll save you some.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gewels -- I want a corn muffin! Do you put in real corn or is it just corn meal? The menu sounds perfect! I can almost taste the salty ham with the slightly sweet muffin. That's comfort food.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

I am not convinced about the healthfulness of canola oil myself. I'd be willing to bet that in the next 1 0years they will discover that it increases heart disease or something - for a vegetable oil, I find it has the wrong taste and texture.

Hmmm ... not sure how long you could store the homemade mix, I would imagine the baking poweder would eventually lose its fizz. Although, the oil should not activate it, so maybe it will last.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Richard -- I have never heard anything bad about canola oil, but who really knows?

If the homemade mixture doesn't last as long as the name brand, then they are putting in preservatives that I don't want or need!

6:07 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

It was more the leavening effect of the baking soda I was wondering about.

I know nothign has come out about canola, although ... a little while back I picked up a pamphlet from teh doctors office extoling the virtues of canola for its content of Omega-3 fatty acids. Although, of all the oils it was compared against, it had the least - corn oil had significantly more. I still don't trust it, it has the wrong taste, smell and texture for me.

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unless it is organic canola oil [rapeseed oil] is all GMO to know more visit NonGMOShoppingGuide.com and www.ResponsibieTechnology.org. Just FYI Bobs red mill or Rumford brands make aluminum-free baking powder and you can get them at the corner grocer.Everyone should realy check out these sites GMOs are 100x worse than sat fats but i can not even begin to touch on this subject here.I am going to stay in prayer about these things and encourage everyone to do the same,what man has done to this earth,our water,only GOD can help us.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Calchick7 said...

And now you have the option of making your own bisquick with NO ALUMINUM (which they say causes Alzheimer disease) - there are Aluminum Free Baking powders now or you can make your own baking powder.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home