Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Clean Teeth and More


Today’s trip to the dentist for my 6-months cleaning had some unexpected results, in addition to a squeaky clean mouth. You know that feeling when you almost don’t want to eat for fear of undoing all that scraping and polishing.

Since I switched to Larry Bowers, I can truthfully say I no longer dread going to the dentist. I am happy to have left the ceiling-mounted TVs playing CNN continuously behind and instead traded them in for classy artwork with soft jazz playing in the background. Instead of People and Newsweek, there are reading choices such as a bound volume of the last 15 or so years of New Yorker cartoons.

But most of my time there is actually spent tilted back in the dental chair as my patient hygienist carefully scrapes and does whatever is necessary to clean up my teeth.

The first piece of unexpected good news was the fact that instead of berating me for slovenly flossing, for the first time in 59 years I was told that I was doing a good job. It undoubtedly helps to have straight teeth. But I must say that was a small victory and a reward for attentive flossing.

When I asked her what was new in her life, she said “Tap dancing.” We talked about her 10-week course with Fairfax County Rec Dept, of which she has taken the first class and loved it. All people about our age, including the teacher. Not too fast. Doesn’t assume you know squat about tap dancing. Does this sound perfect?

I have been looking for a class that fits this description for the last 2 years since I visited my friend FL in FL, where she took me to a tap dance class that indeed made us feel young. The instructor of her class was in her 80's I believe. The class cost something like $2. And it was the most fun I had had in a long time as we shuffled and brushed and turned.

But then I came back here and was greatly disappointed by my one attempt to join a class of 20-somethings. I couldn’t keep up, my knees hurt, and I felt OLD.

So today I came home and rumaged through my closet to find the tap shoes I had purchased and worn once. Thank goodness my latest clean-up spree hadn’t sent them to Value Village.

By DC standards this class is a bargain at $80 for 10 classes. I will show up on Sunday at 3:00. I will definitely enjoy this chance to talk to my hygienist without having my mouth wide open.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Have fun tapping! That sounds great.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

you're too cool - and spending your retirement in such interesting ways!

6:48 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin, Pauline -- I am SO excited! Since I last took tap at age 4, I have loved the clink of taps and the rhythm possibilities they offer. I have a good feeling about this class. But what a totally weird way to learn about it!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Cindy is tap dancing? that's so cool!

What I love in Larry's reception area is the Oscar Wilde book. He is so cool!!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- Cindy's biggest challenge is finding size 11N tap shoes. She ordered 5 pairs from Zappo's hoping one will fit!

She was amazed to find out I don't live on the Hill since I seem to spend do much time there, but instead in F'fax County as she does.

As for Larry's office, I find the books, the walls, the music, even the people I run into so very interesting.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You GO, girl. xoxox FL

11:27 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

FL -- Next time you visit, you can come tap with me, but you will probably know more than everyone else in my beginner class!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I'd have love to have taken tap! I saw Riverdance twice...does that count???!!!

I bought an Oral B toothbrush system from my dentist and it's fabulous.

8:46 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

When i was 4 years old my mother made me go to tap dancing classes; it was all girls and me, leotard and all and I cried to and from that place every day.
maybe i should go try agaqin...

3:27 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- Tapping your feet along with Riverdance is probably about the same thing. I love my Oral B toothbrush.

Steve -- Maybe you should try again now that you can choose not to wear a leotard. I think tap dancing is MACHO!

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home