Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Thirty Years Later

Imagine my surprise when I opened today’s Post to the Food Section and saw a name from the past. I had heard that Molly Marino had established herself as a successful private chef, but my memory of her was from long ago.

One of the first things we did when moving to our current house in 1977 was to join the neighborhood pool. It was a wonderful escape from the DC summer heat and it was still a time when I loved to lie out in the sun.

That first summer we often parked ourselves on the grassy area up near the deep end. We watched as a very determined toddler with “dogears” went off the diving board over and over and over again until she had perfected her jump. Each time she would dog paddle over to the side, jump out, and do it again. That was young Molly Marino, age 2-1/2.

As she grew older she would embrace swimming with a vengeance, with the often loud encouragement of her father who virtually ran the neighborhood swim team. From her earliest years, Molly and her older brothers excelled at swimming. She still holds records at the Arlington Aquatic Club and at Swarthmore College. I was not surprised to see that in 2007 she ranked 9th in the country in the 1000-meter freestyle for women age 30-34.

But somewhere along the way she went to culinary school and has obviously done extremely well with her education. Her interest seems to be in making healthy food that suits people’s likes and lifestyles, even catering to special surprises in the children’s lunchboxes.

I can imagine a typical day finds her at the market early selecting fresh food for the day’s menu, going to the pool for a few thousand meters of workout, and then heading back to a fabulous kitchen to make dinner for an adoring family.

Kudos to Molly for her ability to find a path that combines things she loves to do!

Meanwhile I’m dying to try her black-eyed pea hummus (even though I vowed never to eat another such pea after I left the South), sweet potato salad, toasted tortillas, and sparkling limeade! Recipes on page F8 of today’s Post.

7 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

Oh, but how could you give up black-eyed peas entirely? They're so GREAT!

(Hummus is definitely a novel twist.)

Here's hoping all goes well tomorrow and you have a celebratory weekend. :)

11:13 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- I may just have to try black-eyed peas again. As with so many other foods, my adult palate may now love them!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

black-eyed peas hummus....


let me know how they taste!

(maybe that's the way to serve black-eyed peas on a New Year's buffet!)

12:19 PM  
Blogger Bobby D. said...

I've had black bean hummus and it's great, now I have to try black eyed pea hummus.

Molly's story is a very nice one.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kelly, Ched -- I'm still coming to terms with black-eyed peas. Maybe this recipe will convert me!

9:37 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Mmmm... I can't wait to get back to my kitchen and try the recipes!

8:26 AM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

kudos to molly!

all of the recipes you mentioned sound FANTASTIC.... I think I'll have to try a couple of them over the holiday weekend. I making dishes with both black-eyed peas (if you do it right they can be quite wonderful) and sweet potatoes - and they are very nutritious to boot!

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home