Tuesday, August 12, 2008

And the Answer Is...

Ever since August 1 when I had the small brown dot on my leg removed, I have been on pins and needles every time the phone rang. They had said it might take up to 2 weeks to find out the results of the biopsy.

Whenever I have one of these questionable spots removed, I always ask the doctor what he thinks. Dr. Peck said he honestly did not think it was melanoma, but it still looked a little odd and it had grown by 30% in just 4 months.

Yesterday when I still hadn’t heard, I called his office at Washington Hospital Center and spoke to his assistant who had done the “scoop” biopsy. He told me it seemed to be taking longer than usual to get results back.

I half seriously said to my friend Deborah last night, “God forbid they should lose the brown dot. They would then have to assume the worst and do more surgery.”

But today I got the call. I didn’t even want to hear the details of the pathology report. The word BENIGN was all I needed to know.

A big sigh of relief as I wait for the next questionable brown dot to present itself. With my skin, it is inevitable. But for now, I am just fine.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Congratulations! Good news, indeed.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- It's nice to put the growing anxiety behind me.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

Good news, good news, good news!!! My nieces have all inherited Mom's fair Irish skin. Luckily they are all sunblock and hat wears. Many times I think of the days when we would lather on the Baby Oil to toast ourselves in the sun (:::shudder:::). The next generation will be all firm-skinned cougars because they learned the importance of sunscreen early!

1:42 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Great news! What a relief. Onwards & upwards.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kelly -- Those of us who were foolish enough to fry with baby oil are now paying the price. I'm alarmed at the increasing incidence of skin cancer. I would like to hear of a cure so no one has to go through this torture!

Reya -- Agreed, onwards and upwards!

7:56 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Wheeeeeew!!!!!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- My sentiments exactly! In an e-mail to my friend Deborah, I used the exact same phrase you used about your dental visit "dodged a bullet." It so aptly describes my euphoria!

10:40 AM  
Blogger bozoette said...

"Benign" is one of the loveliest words in the English language! I've heard it a couple of times myself.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Ruth L.~ said...

Big sigh of relief. Happy for you!!!

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home