Tuesday, August 26, 2008

On a Happier Note

Do you recognize this lovely face? The person who was the life of every DC Blogs happy hour in the early days? The person who could drink everyone in attendance under the table?

DC Cookie was one of the first people to welcome me to DC Blogs. I will never forget that night when I shyly made my entrance into that raucous crowd. Within minutes, I felt like I had known them all my life. Most of those people – Cookie, Kathryn, Rhinestone Cowgirl, Direct Current – are no longer writing a Blog, but have moved on to other things in their lives.

I attended my last happy hour with the express purpose of giving DC Cookie a wedding present, since her special day was fast approaching. We never managed to meet up that night, as I left early and she arrived late. But KassyK passed the present on to Cookie. I remember getting a very gracious thank you for the decorative tile I gave her. Then she was married and soon thereafter moved across the country.

Yesterday I received a neatly addressed letter from Las Vegas. My husband asked “Do we know these people?” as I opened the envelope. Of course I knew who it was the minute I saw the wedding photo. In addition there was a beautifully hand-written note thanking me once again for the tile that adorns her kitchen wall and telling me that her Blogging activity had been replaced by writing letters to her unborn child. DC Cookie is most happily married and is 5 months pregnant.

After a week of personal disappointment, this letter and photo cheered me up as nothing else could have. It was such a perfect reminder of why I love Blogging and the many wonderful friends of all ages I have made along the way.

I hope we can stay in touch as her baby arrives and transforms this couple into a family.

What a nice surprise!

3 Comments:

Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

congrats to dc cookie...and the little cookie in the oven....

2:42 PM  
Blogger Mo said...

The little cookie in the oven--adorable!
I'm glad you've gotten a break in the clouds. Here's to good friends and blogging!

3:08 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Mouse, Mo -- I'm finding it takes a lot less energy to be happy than to be sad. I do cherish my good friends, even those I know only in cyberspace!

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home