Thursday, December 01, 2005

Blogging Across the Generation Gap

I have been so curious about who these people are who write BLOGs in DC, so I decided to go to the holiday bash at Eyebar hosted by 4 of DC’s most popular bloggers. As I walked into the crowded noisy bar, my first thought was, “FUCK! There is not a soul here over 35 and most of them are young enough to be my children.” But instead of going back out the door, I sidled up to the bar and ordered a glass of wine. I don’t think too many people who come to Eyebar order wine, so there was simply generic white, no choices. As I took my first sip, a beautiful dark-haired girl at the corner of the bar said, “Do you write on DC Blogs?” To which I replied “Yes” and as I started to give her my alias, I realized how lame it is, compared to hers (DC Cookie) and many of the others. How was I to know a year ago when this all started what kinds of names people took? We talked at length about he addictiveness of blogging, sort of whispering that we both steal time at work to write and read.

All the big names in DC Blogs were there – Rhinestone Cowgirl, AsianMistress, I-66, Direct Current, and on and on and on. I talked to Direct Current (a.k.a. A Unique Alias) for a while about the mysterious Washington Cube, who was not in attendance and whom no one had ever met. There is considerable speculation about her age and her profession, but no debate about the quality and appeal of what she writes. When I asked him what he wrote about, he said “Just bullshit, but with some embellishments!” as he winked at AsianMistress. Then I realized that he is the one who recently wrote about an experience in a men’s room that was laugh-out-loud funny. He swears it was all true.

I talked to another girl who was there with her friend who writes a BLOG. She herself hasn’t make the plunge into writing, but reads avidly. She also said that her boss who is a Congressman is totally hooked on blogging. WOW! Then, noting my age in comparison to hers, she told me what a good writer her mother is and how she has encouraged her to start a BLOG.

I spotted Pat (a.k.a. KOB) since he was the only other person in the room by this time who was over 35. I knew it had to be him. He was surrounded by a gaggle of girls and of course the topic was blogging. We were both sort of hoping that Reya would show up so that our side of 35 would have yet one more member.

By this time, I had had a very long day, so I left my wine glass behind and left the blogger bash going in full tilt till who knows when? I’m happy to be associated with these people and look forward to the next social event. Maybe some of us babyboomers will have to host it!

12 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

I didn't get to meet you, but Jamy pointed you out to me. I think I was in the gaggle of women next to KOB. I didn't get to say hi because you were in a conversation with someone else, so Hi!

11:33 PM  
Blogger kob said...

Barbara, I enjoyed this write up. It was very nice meeting you. You should make our weblogger meetings. I think there's one the 21st. I'll send you the link. Someday, baby boomers will blog...

12:10 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

The only mystery about me is that I am not known to the group. There is no mystery. Trust me.

In the meantime, I've discovered your blog, so that is the good news.

12:30 AM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Wow, "most popular" and "biggest bloggers of DC"...you are too kind!

It was nice to meet you, however brief - I apologize for being a bit spastic.

Glad you braved the unknown to come out!

1:54 AM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:56 AM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

And PS - AUA said 80% truth, 20% bullsit, and I called/concurred with his BS *wink*...though maybe creative liberty is a better phrase. The bathroom story though - all true.

1:59 AM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

I look forward to reading more!

10:09 AM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

On first read, I must have missed the sentence in which you complimented me, hence, the need for a second comment. THANK YOU! You just made my day, seriously.

Also, despite the overwhelming ratio of under 30 females, blogging is truly ageless, popularity-less, genderless, sexual-orientation-less, wealthless, ethnicity-less, etc. etc. The hostesses REALLY appreciate you coming out and helping us prove that.

I look forward to the event you might host. I won't be in town for KOB's next event on the 21st, but definitely in January. I'm all for being the only non-baby-boomer in the room - more of a challenge.

Hopefully Cubie will make an appearance...

10:20 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Thanks to all of you for filling up my inbox with comments today. How very exciting! I'm addicted to blogging, so come visit my site anytime. I really do look forward to the next social event, when I will be able to recognize at least a few DC Bloggers! Until then I will probably spend every spare minute reading what you have to say about your slice of the world.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Wow, really? Most popular? Thanks. (blushing)

We met quickly when I was talking to AUA, but I'm sorry we didn't get to chat longer. I look forward to reading!

9:24 PM  
Blogger Jamy said...

Hi Barbara,

I believe you spoke to my non-blogging friend (known as "Pele" on my blog). I enjoyed reading your perspective on the happy hour and I'm really glad you came.

By the way, I'm 36, so there were at least three people there over 35 :)

Hope to see you again!

9:39 PM  
Blogger DC Food Blog said...

You've emboldened me to attend the next blogger bash. I'm dragging my friend Pauline there because I heard the ratio of men to women is 20 million to one.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home