Sunday, September 14, 2008

Tent Update


The Temple Micah tent for Darfur is coming along. It will definitely be ready to join the hundreds of other tents as part of the Tents of Hope project on the Mall November 7-9.


I’m in charge of this tent painting project for Temple Micah. I panicked somewhat when I learned that the building renovation would not leave space for us to paint the tent inside the synagogue building over the summer.


But a wonderful elderly congregant who lives directly behind Temple Micah offered us her garage. That’s where the tent has been housed for the last month as the design takes shape.


A talented woman named Margaret conceived the design for our tent. She did her homework to learn what would be appropriate from the standpoint of a Muslim country.


She determined that pictures of people are not so acceptable. So our tent is mostly rural scenes with vegetation and animals. Even the inside has a pleasing frieze along the top of the walls.


We had volunteer painters of all ages, shapes, and sizes. Every one of them took home new knowledge of mural painting, thanks to Margaret’s thoughtful instruction.


It’s been exciting to see this project come together and to know that we will now be ready to proudly add our tent to the many others from all over the country.


There are still hurdles to be jumped in sending the tents to Darfur, but I’m confident that we will find a way to allow the refugees to appreciate the work that went into decorating a home for yet another family in need on another continent far, far away.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

What a beautiful tent! It's even more gorgeous than I imagined when you first talked about the project.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Such a beautiful home you are creating for some family. A wonderful mitzvah you are all doing!

5:00 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I agree. It looks better and better every time I see it!

Kate -- Welcome back as KATE! How did you make the conversion from Anon?

5:48 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

it is that thoughtfulness of some, and the reaching out to those in need, that redeem humans for putting each other in such a position in the first place. Well done! The tent is amazing.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

The tent is truly beautiful!

9:28 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

barb- you know I always say what i think and sometimes even when i know should keep my mouth shut....but a tent with a painting of a grass hut seems...a bit "incongruous" to me.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- My favorite part of the design is the very blue sky and the birds, which to me symbolize the ability to rise above all the problems on the ground.

Kelly -- Amazing is a good word for it.

Bulletholes -- I'm sure Margaret researched this area to find that if given the choice the people would naturally live in grass huts. Unfortunately there's not much grass left in the parched areas where they are located. I was so grateful to have someone else to come up with a design!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

That's a beautiful tent! You and the other volunteers should be proud!

10:41 AM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

wow the tent is so beautiful... there was one up at a local church it was so boring compared to this (but still moving)....unfortunately when I went back with my camera to snap a pic it was gone! but when I saw it I thought of you and this action on behalf of darfur - maybe I'll try and get down to see my folks during november ....it will be time....just depends if em is at a good place by then....let's hope so...

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home