Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Looking for a Way to Help

Yesterday’s report that the Presidential race is a dead heat once again fired me up to do something besides whine. After coffee yesterday, my friend Marjorie sent me some information about volunteering and I made the plunge today.

I keep wondering who these women are who are jumping ship to support McCain-Palin. I couldn’t recall having even one serious conversation with an intelligent person who is a McCain supporter. But in truth I probably do know some of them, maybe more than I think.

After a fantastic trip to see the gardens at the National Cathedral with the Temple Micah Lunch Bunch, as we were sitting at Café DeLuxe, one of my favorite restaurants, one of them spoke out. I had thought of the congregants of Temple Micah as invariably bleeding liberals. This woman said she had been a Democrat all her life, but in January when she looked at the Democratic possibilities, she went to work for McCain. She’s smart. She’s a lawyer. She cleverly refuted every point any of us could make to the point where I had to leave before I exploded in frustration.

I went directly from lunch to the Obama office in Arlington and asked what I could do to help. I would have done just about anything not to work the phone bank, but that was the job with my name on it today. So I called and called and called, getting about 1 in20 home. Of those I reached, their preference was equally split between Obama and McCain. Two hours of phoning was about all I could take. I’ll be back another day to do more of whatever they need most.

I will probably join Marjorie, who has been working for the Obama campaign for about a year, when she goes door-to-door in Chantilly, a Northern Virginia suburb.

I’m somewhat incredulous that people are not running as fast as possible from another 4 or 8 years of Republicans in office. A quick look at our economy, the price of gas, the continuing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the failing health care system would seem sufficient reason to vote for the Democrats.

As a retiree I have been liberated from the Hatch Act restrictions placed on Federal workers, and I plan to do everything in my power to campaign for the change that is so desperately needed in this country!

11 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I can't do the cold calling - and I've tried! Good for you, though. So many people say they want things to change; so few do anything about it.

5:05 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I'm the best cold caller in the buisiness.
I'm chillin'.
But I haven't made up my mind yet.
I was all set to go with the Hill'ry, then Bamabamadingdong picked a real well qualified DUD and Mccain, the only DUD more DUD'ly than Biden, has picked hisself a real pistol and put himself back in the pink.

Its like my whole world is turned topsy turvy

5:31 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I was scared to death the first time someone actually answered. I didn't really get any difficult people.

Bulletholes -- I am just going to pretend I called you today and convinced you to vote for Obama. Remember you are otherwise voting for McCain as President, not Sarah Palin. If you didn't like him before, her addition shouldn't really change your mind. If you do change your mind, you are contributing to my growing depression about this election! So vote for Obama, y' hear?

5:59 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Palin is a good speech maker - as far as I know, she doesn't write her own material so it's not really HER that folks are cheering for, it's the idea of "change," with very little in-depth look at just what pro-people changes can or will be made. Misinformed, uninformed voters may just make this election one more step toward a weaker U.S. McCain is a Bush man by virtue of his party, his voting record and his personal beliefs. And little miss "one heartbeat away" is just as scary.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

I have to admit, I was a Hilary supporter and found it hard to back Obama wholehearted after the primary. BUT HEY!!!!! I will do everything I can to help him get elected now... the thought of four more republican years is incredibly creepy.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- The more substantiated material that comes out about Palin, the scarier the possibility of having her as our next VP. This includes suggested book banning, destroying controversial e-mails, attempts to fire her enemies, and on and on and on. I wish the Republicans would start addressing the issues instead of just looking for fresh mud to sling.

Kelly -- I had a similar path to becoming an Obama supporter. For me the alternative is simply unpalatable. Reading Obama's book about his life helped me a lot.

9:26 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

I just got off a conference call with Markos "The Daily Kos" Moulitsas, and got some great ideas and inspiration. But the idea I already had is how to answer people who seem to be voting on "personality," meaning a talking head on tv. My answer is:

1. You probably won't meet them and you definitely won't have them over for a barbeque. People voted for barbeque beer buddy Bush twice, how's that workin' for ya?

2. What do you really care about? Affordable health care? Jobs? Affordable college education? The War in Iraq? The environment? Oil company profits? The Constitution? Abortion? Make a simple list, then do a few minutes of research to find out what Obama's and McCain's position AND RECORD is on the issues.

Since the two candidates are diametrically opposed on nearly every issue (and by the way, McCain's position on nearly every issue is identical to Bush and Cheney, check it out), the choice for everyone this year should be very clear no matter what side of the political spectrum someone is on.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- You pal around with some pretty impressive people!

I think your ideas are great. I'm starting my list right now. It would help to have the opposing views documented on the important issues when making phone calls.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I don't have a vote so I can't help you but I'd definitely go with Obama. It's so interesting to read what my US blogger friends write about all this. It's neat to get your inside scoops because otherwise, all I'd get would be slanted info from the media.

7:44 AM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

thanks.... it is mind blowing to hear how ms pain has given mcsame a boost....

educate. educate. educate.

you retired just in time. the country needs you!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- If you have any influence over US voters, exert it! We need all the help we can get.

Mouse -- It struck me today that my time on Wednesday could have been far better used greeting people coming out of the Ballston metro station than making no-answer phone calls. I would like to see a great Obama presence on the street!

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home