Thursday, October 16, 2008

River Ride

We’ve had a series of Indian Summer days that just beg for a bike ride. Yesterday found us once again on the Mt. Vernon bike trail that combines a well-maintained path with one photo op after another.


We did pretty much the same trip we had done two weeks ago, but already the colors had noticeably changed. South of Dyke Marsh we stopped for a picnic overlooking the river. The water lapped at the shore as we ate sardines, bananas, and cashew nuts. There was no dark chocolate for dessert, so I suggested a stop in Old Town on the way back.


Along the way we saw a variety of walkers, runners, and bikers. Here we have the traditional tricycle. I vowed to ride such a cycle if I ever have to give up my bicycle. I’ll bet this guy rides up and down the bike trail multiple times a week. In addition, there was a traditional recumbent and a bicycle with a “jr” bike attached on the back. But for the most part, we had the trail to ourselves.

Maybe it was the thought of dessert in Old Town or maybe I am really getting stronger, but I managed to keep my bike in a harder gear the whole ride. I resisted the urge to stop and take pictures, keeping the images in my head instead.

Dessert at A La Lucia was indeed worth a lot of pedaling. We locked our bikes together out front and hoped they would be safe while we enjoyed tiramisu and espresso in this little restaurant on Madison Street.

We verified that the railroad tracks are still in use as we waited for a train to cross the bike path.


As we approached the car back at the marina, I watched a guy dismantle what looked like a drum set in the adjacent field. It turns out he is a jazz drummer who likes to practice outdoors. I lamented the fact that we had missed the concert.

It was probably one of the last 75-degree days of the year. I’m glad we were able to enjoy it!



9 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

I love the idea of the nice dessert as a treat after a day of bicycling. Sounds perfect!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I'm easily motivated by (good) food!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

What a wonderful day! I've been working so much I even took the Metro to save time. I need to get out! Newscasters called this the last warm day 'til spring.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- At least take a walk at lunch time. You wouldn't want to miss it!

11:50 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

ooooh dark chocolate!


back in a minute....

3:16 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

.... back with dark chocolate


75! (i admit to googling to convert that)

We've been on 14 today (just googled... 57)

but very bright and sunny. i've been cycling more this week, it feels great

3:20 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Lettuce -- The impressive thing is that cycling for you is transportation, not recreation. More of us need to go there!

5:36 PM  
Blogger e said...

I love the idea of biking but can't do more than an arm bike, the only one of which I had access to was in a PT center and not in your lovely setting.

That dessert sounds to die for but only vicariously.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

That sounds like so much fun. I want a bicycle! But more than that I want enough time to be able to ride a bicycle.

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home