Sunday, December 21, 2008

Just Go Away

For the past couple of weeks an unwelcome visitor has been knocking at my door, ringing the bell ever so often. So far I’ve managed to keep this seasonal bug at bay.

But he is as persistent as the missionaries who want to come in and sit on my sofa to tell me how Jesus Christ or Joseph Smith saved them from eternal damnation. You know the ones that often travel in pairs on bikes.

It’s somewhat of a miracle (in this season of miracles) that I’ve not succumbed, given my husband has been sick for the past two weeks. He’s gone through the various stages of aches, sore throat, sneezing, a miserable cough, and general malaise.

I’ve been taking extra vitamin C and keeping my distance as I get an occasional twinge of a symptom. It would seem that I’ve managed to discourage this unwanted guest who has been looking for a vulnerable spot in my immune system. So far, so good.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that the unwelcome guest hasn't taken up residence in you! I like the idea of discouraging "him" through making yourself as healthy as possible (and thus less attractive to him), vs. turning someone else away...puts a more positive spin on it. (Ditto re the spiritual solicitors! If someone is spiritually grounded, they won't be as vulnerable to conversion attempts, and can graciously greet the proselytizers and ask them to keep moving.) Keep washing those hands, and get lots of rest!

-- F.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- My father had a great way of dealing with the religious zealots who came to our door. He always insisted on exchanging literature with them. It usually shut them right up!

Yes, hand-washing until they're red and raw! Seriously, I think I may have dodged this one. I'm sure that's not the last bug of the season.

4:58 PM  
Blogger edward said...

that pest has been here and gone -- (we all was sick !)
better now.

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home