Saturday, January 03, 2009

Once upon a time


Storytelling is a lost art in our society. We read books, but we rarely tell stories even to our children. Last night I was reminded of just how much fun it can be to listen as someone spins a tale.

This was probably one of the most unusual birthday presents I have ever received – an evening with an experienced storyteller followed by a delicious dinner for 12.

It probably would have been ideal to be outdoors looking up at the stars, but it was cold last night and there weren’t so many stars in evidence, so we were inside, where we simply had to use our imaginations.

Since the beginning of time, man has been intrigued with the night sky, the pattern of stars and planets that is predictable as the seasons change. For every point of light up there, there is a story of how it came to be.

We heard stories of Orion, the Pleides, and so many other mythological figures. They involved themes of love, intrigue, betrayal, but the end result was inevitably being cast into or out of the sky for eternity.

There was even the equivalent of “Eve and the apple.” Only in this case it was a forbidden turnip. It turned out that digging up the sacred turnip revealed a hole in the floor of the sky which showed life on earth and thereby ruined the harmony of the world above. The offending digger was banished to the earth with her child.

As I sat there listening, I couldn’t help but think of the countless audiences through the centuries who had sat around a fire listening to stories as their dinner cooked. It made me wonder who it was who initially made up the stories that would forever explain the night sky.

I think the storyteller could easily have gone on all night, but after an hour or so we were all ready to eat. It was almost like breaking a spell to go from the world of the stars to dinner with good friends.

What a nice way to start my 60th birthday celebration!

(Image from www.sorosy.com)

11 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

Is it your birthday???
Then HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

10:35 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- My birthday isn't actually until Monday, so this was just a prelude! Falling so close to Christmas, my birthday has usually been sort of an afterthought. That makes it doubly nice to be able to celebrate over multiple days!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Yeah, you're lucky. My mother's birthday actually is on Christmas.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, storytelling! What a lovely evening and "stellar" harbinger of a great 60th year!

One of my fond childhood memories is dozing off in my cabin full of fellow young campers, being read to sleep by our 17-year-old counselor who knew that's just what we needed to soothe our homesick nerves. Another is hanging in the kitchen with my mother, listening together to the NPR read-aloud show. And 17 years ago when I had a Really Major Flu, my ex-husband read "Lonesome Dove" in its entirety to me over 3 weeks as I lay in a 103.5-degree stupor. Hearing stories aloud can be very healing!

HB in advance...more greetings to come!

XO,

F.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- Now that I am Jewish, a birthday on Christmas would give me something legitimate to celebrate!

Anon -- The sound of someone's voice either reading or telling a story is indeed soothing. I think I would be a better listener if I could experience this more often. I kept watching the storyteller, which also contributed to the whole experience.

Thanks for the early HB wishes. I am starting to get excited. I think there must be a dinner her tomorrow as my husband is busily cooking and bringing in quantities of libations. How exciting!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

I always asked my grandpa and my parents to tell me stories from their own childhoods-- once they got started old funny memories would surface.

Happy Monday Birthday and Happy Birthday Prelude.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Ulysses said...

For youe birthday, I would happily tell another story -- now where's that pen... I know I've got something started in one of these notebooks... Give me a day or two, I'll get one out.

Happy Birthday, may your year itself be the best story you find.

1:17 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

When you come to visit, I`ll tell you all the stories you want to hear...I`m full of them! My parents never did, but my older brother who was allowed to go to movies, kept me up all night to tell me the films he had seen - so detailed that later when I was older I was not sure if I had seen them myself or not. Great gift to pass on! You`ll get an extra greeting tomorrow!

6:17 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Squirrel -- Don't you wish you had recorded those stories from your grandparents? I'll bet you can still hear them in your head.

Ulysses -- I would be very honored to have my very own story. You do know how to tell a good one. It could be a short story, you know!

Angela -- You are the quintessential storyteller. Fortunately your Blog is serving to record some of those tales that have long been in your head!

8:05 AM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

happy birthday in advance!! I hope you intend to celebrate the entire year. that is my philosophy when one has a bd that ends with a 0...or if one makes it past 80.....

storytelling critical to our survival as a species and as a planet.

on the personal level, I wish I had written down all the wonderful stories I was given by my grandparents while they were alive, unfortunately it's been a long long time since 3 of them were alive and my memory of the stories has diminished but maybe if I concentrate really hard....

1:58 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Barbara,happy birthday to you...and many more!

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home