Sunday, January 04, 2009

Meme Time

Cyndy tagged me for this meme, which is not the standard “list 7 things about yourself” type of meme. It may require some real thought.

All About Me:

10 years ago – I was a total workaholic, sometimes putting in 60 hours a week. My son was away at college. My daughter was into serious partying and was avoiding a lot of direct parental contact. I did have a new puppy to worry about, but at that point he spent a lot of his life outdoors with our other dog Dylan and hadn’t yet learned to dig out or open gates. My husband hated his job, so I threw myself into my job. A really great life, yes?

8 years ago – My father had succumbed to lung cancer rather quickly. Unfortunately I couldn’t stay in Florida the whole time since I had a family and work demands here, so I was recovering from a bout of severe guilt over his passing. I had gone through a lifetime of his (their/my) stuff, noting that he was probably the most serious packrat I had ever encountered. I ended up almost giving away his house, where nothing worked any longer, including the plumbing. I gave some money to the church he and my mother helped start. I headed on up the road with his car packed to the gills and more boxes in transit. Exactly 8 years ago, we were completing a major renovation to our house, courtesy of my inheritance.

6 years ago – I was still working hard. Both children were away at school. By this time my son was in law school. We were becoming quite involved in our new synagogue – singing in the choir, starting a prayerbook Hebrew class, going to lectures and services, making new friends. We were enjoying entertaining with our still newly renovated kitchen and family room. I had started going to yoga classes. Even though I was fairly bad even at level 1, I realized it was a good thing for my body and I continued to go.

4 years ago – I received my first massage and launched a new era of my life in which I discovered acupuncture, osteopathy, meditation, manicures, pedicures, regular exercise, and daily writing, in addition to the joys of massage. I rediscovered the use of makeup, seeing my waist, and playing the piano. It was like an extreme makeover that took place over a couple of years. Along the way I learned how much I value the people around me and made a lot of new friends, both in person and electronically.

This was also the year I had my thyroid removed with a malignant tumor. It seemed traumatic at the time, but now I never miss it as I pop my little Synthroid pill every day.

2 years ago – I retired from the Federal Government after working hard for 36 years. It was not exactly when I wanted to leave, but circumstances made up my mind and I have no regrets. It was probably a good thing my personal transformation had occurred prior to my retirement or else I might not have had anything to do in retirement. As it turns out, I stay quite busy between music, volunteering, and social engagements.

5 Yummy Things:
– A salad chock full of interesting things, like beets, capers, olives, and sunflower seeds, and dressed with a homemade Balsamic vinaigrette.
– Cheese with flavor – hard, sharp, blue.
– Dark chocolate of any variety.
– Raw oysters with spicy cocktail sauce.
– Mac & cheese – homemade or from Logan’s Tavern.

5 Songs I Know by Heart:
– The Star-Spangled Banner
– Norwegian Wood
– Bridge Over Troubled Water
– Sunrise, Sunset
– Red Rubber Ball

5 Places I Would Like to Escape to:
– Villa Rica (in southern Chile)
– Kauai
– Paris
– Sogn Fjord (Norway)
– San Francisco

5 Things I Would Never Wear:
– Flip-flops
– A wet suit
– Spike heels
– A fur coat
– A bikini (well, maybe)

5 Favorite TV Shows:
(since I don’t watch TV at all, I can only comment on shows I once watched)
– Dallas
– American Dreams
– The Days of Our Lives

5 Favorite Toys:
– My piano (is this a toy?)
– My bicycle
– My sewing machine
– My camera
– Something mailed to me in plain brown paper wrapping by Velvet-in-Dupont a couple of years ago

Now I’m supposed to tag 5 people, but here’s where I draw the line. If you are reading this and feel so inclined, have a go at it!



(Photos: The top picture is my little lavender plant in the planter on my deck. The geraniums died with the first cold weather, but the lavender seems to be liking the cold, even though I never got around to taking it out of the pot.

The other photo shows my favorite cut flowers, which always seem to last for weeks. They brighten up my kitchen any time of the year.)

10 Comments:

Blogger e said...

Happy Birthday, Barbara! I loved your meme because it shows real growth and a lot of heart. I hope your 60th year on the planet is amazing! I'll get back to you regarding the meme.

Have a wonderful day!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

E -- Thanks for the good wishes. I'm content that life seems to improve with each passing year!

12:48 PM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

definitely not the standard meme - thanks for being so thoughtful and sharing so much about yourself. I'm an incurable nosey parker!

no flip flops!! dangerous as they may be I must say if I have to wear shoes, they may very well be my favorite type of shoe (the key is 'if I have to wear shoes - I definitely prefer being barefoot)

it is very interesting to read the list of the songs you know by heart, I may play this meme - when I have time, for that question alone. tee hee!

wishes for a healthy, happy and totally sublime 2009!

hope to see you later this month..

1:52 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Mouse -- I have nothing philosophically against flip-flops. It's just that I have enough trouble not tripping in closed toe shoes; flip-flops would be a disaster for me!

Yes, hope to see you when you come to town!

2:47 PM  
Blogger A Concerned Citizen said...

Your "five things I would never wear" list is *exactly* the same as mine (except that I would not say "well, maybe" with respect to a bikini)!

I also love both your photos. Jeff got us a lavender plant at a garden sale in Arlington last year, and it brings so much pleasure. Ours is still in an outdoor pot, too, and still doing well. I think that most herbs except basil do OK this way. . . .

Happy 2009 to you, Barbara. I look forward to reading your blog over the coming year.

P.S. I remember that your b-day is in January but am blanking on the date -- please e-mail me a reminder!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Adrianne -- We Capricorns think alike!

Happy New Year to you, too!

11:40 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

I must admit I was absolutely horrified at the size of this meme when I got tagged, and it took me a couple of weeks to get around to doing it myself. But I have really enjoyed the fascinating things that all of my graciously cooperative blogger friends have written. So thanks to you too!

Days of our Lives, eh?
Thyroid - me too, good riddance!
Sounds like life keeps getting better for you - way to go!

3:17 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Happy Birthday! I remember reading a lot of this in your posts but it's interesting to see it laid out chronologically like this. You're definitely going forward!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- My husband actually cringes when I reveal the fact that we taped Days for years and then watched it over dinner. He grew up in a Days family and took a while to kick the habit. It was actually the 2004 Olympics that did it, taking it off the air for a few weeks. We just never tuned in again. But I'll bet if we did, it wouldn't be hard to pick up the same lame story line!

Pauline -- Forward is indeed better than backward!

12:50 PM  
Blogger red dirt girl said...

i loved reading your meme - especially what you were doing / who you were 10,8, 2 .. years ago. i'm not sure i'd be up for a 5,5,5 meme ! but yours was funny and fun.

amen to the bikini, girlfriend - i should have appreciated those days before kids ... but after my skin cancer episode, i have SUCH A GOOD reason to stay away from 'bathing suit season' - snickers!

xxx
rdm

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home