Thursday, January 01, 2009

Heading West


I have been invited to spend a long weekend with my daughter, the recipient of the birthday cupcakes, in San Francisco. It will be a time for mother-daughter bonding. I can imagine us walking all over the city together, cooking together, just hanging out in what has become her world.

I’m excited that this also gives me the opportunity to connect with some old and new friends in the SF area. If you are reading this and would like to arrange a rendez-vous, send me an e-mail at barbara.diskin@verizon.net. I’m sure we can meet at Peet’s over coffee.


I would absolutely love to connect with my long-time faithful reader I have affectionately named SF. In all this time of reading almost every day, she has left me exactly one comment after an extended absence to assure me she was OK and was returning home the next day. I promise to protect your identity if we do get together.

I’ve always liked to anticipate a trip. It suddenly becomes real when you purchase a non-refundable ticket. I now have such a ticket to leave DC on January 22 and return on January 26.

I’m so looking forward to the sights, the food, the hills, but most of all the people on my San Francisco adventure. I will get to experience my daughter as an adult and hopefully hook up with several others while I am there.

My bags aren’t packed, and I’m not ready to go, but I will be soon enough!

(Photos from our November 2007 trip)

12 Comments:

Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I would love to meet you at Peet's if only I could! I really don't read many blogs anymore but I'll check every now and then on my old favs.
Happy New Year!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- I'm so glad to hear from you! I would very much like to sit down over a cup of coffee with you some day.

I hope 2009 brings you renewed health and happiness!

1:34 PM  
Blogger red dirt girl said...

Happy New Year, Barbara!

a trip to SF sounds lovely - especially when it involves friends and family and a cute cafe named Peet's!

I wish you travelin' mercies (re: Anne Lamott, writer). My holiday travels were less than stellar: delayed flights and lost baggage...

however, all's well that ends well.

much love to you and yours,
rdm
xxx

1:48 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

RDM -- I plan to travel light and hopefully carry everything on board with me because I don't trust the airlines not to lose my bag! Thanks for your good wishes.

I hope 2009 smiles on you in so many ways. You have more than paid your dues the past couple of years!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Happy New Year!

Have a great time in SF. I think it is high time that I took off to visit my folks in Florida. A joy to get away for a bit and relax.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gary -- I love having a trip to look forward to. I hope you do get to enjoy some Florida sun during the cold, dreary winter!

Happy New Year!

9:00 PM  
Blogger e said...

Florida has been a bit chilly, so anyone heading that way should bring a warm jacket for evening wear.

I hope you and David have a wonderful New Year. Enjoy your trip, and especially your time with your daughter!

10:15 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

E -- I'm hoping to make it down to Florida for your big moment later in the year! Study hard... as if I needed to tell you that.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Have a wonderful time. Visiting with family is a good thing and seeing one's adult children in their own setting is always eye-opening. Wish I was piggy-backing along. I'd hie myself up the coast to see my son and sisters in Oregon. The door is always open (though sleeping space is scarce) if you ever head northeast...

8:01 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- I'm thinking Spring, right around the time all those birds start returning, would be a good time to head in your direction. This is the year for the trip north!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

Sounds good, a trip to SF-- you'll have a great time.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Squirrel -- I always get excited about going on a trip, especially when it involves seeing people I know and love!

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home