Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Both Sides Used


In all my years, I have never put anything to do with exercise on a wish list. Not until now, that is. As a belated Hanukkah present, I asked for a Bosu Ball. I think Bosu stands for “both sides used.”

In my recent round of PT, I am working a lot on balance, trying to make up for the fact that I have little or no proprioception. One of the things that feels so good and is almost fun is the Bosu Ball, which I have used on both sides. It’s a great way to simulate uneven surfaces, teaching your body to react to sudden changes.


My ball came yesterday in this flat box. One of the first things we had to do was pump it up to a depth of about 9 inches. The pump seems like a real piece of junk, but it does the job.

(For Merle Sneed: Please note that I did not order a Tee shirt with Bosu on the back or front!)


Then instead of hopping on, we watched the DVD, in which terribly fit girls jumped on and off the Bosu and contorted their bodies over the top of it in killer AB exercises. It will be a while before I attempt most of those exercises, but it is really amazing what a workout you can get with this little ball.


My exercise goals for 2009 are CORE and BALANCE. I’m committed to a pilates lesson once a week. I’m looking for a new yoga studio. And I now have my Bosu Ball. There should be no reason why I can’t be healthier and in better shape by the end of 2009, right?

14 Comments:

Blogger Lemmonex said...

No reason at all. Good luck on working on a better you, though I think you are pretty great now. Happy new year.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Lemmonex -- I always thing positively just before the start of the new year. It will be a miracle if I actually achieve something this year! But thanks for the vote of confidence.

10:36 AM  
Blogger lacochran said...

It's fun to have a new toy! Enjoy! And happy 2009!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Lacochran -- I hope I can convince myself to stay interested in this toy!

Happy New Year to you too!

12:44 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

OK-I can't help it...
Have you and Dave...you know....tried it out yet?
Might be worthwhile here on NYE!
Make it a Bosu New Year!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Bulletholes -- OMG! That video was not X-rated. Only you would have thought of this way to spend New Year's Eve!

3:48 PM  
Blogger tut-tut said...

happy New Year! I enjoy reading your comments on other blogs; why haven't I jumped over to yours until now?

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Barbara! May 2009 be a blessed and happy year for you, and may you meet all the joys (hopefully many) and sorrows (hopefully few) that come your way with balance and equanimity! :-)

-- F.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

both sound like great resolutions - good luck and Happy New Year!

6:49 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Tut-tut -- Welcome! I could say the same thing to you. We obviously run in some of the same circles. I look forward to getting to know you in 2009!

Anon -- I love the sound of "balance and equanimity"! Two very good things indeed.

Pauline -- Welcome home! I've missed your visits. Happy New Year to you too.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Avid Reader said...

I'll have to look into this Bosu Ball.

Happy New Year!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Ulysses said...

"Both Sides Utilized"? really, I'm sure it has to be Each Side Utilized.
And what do you mean "terribly fit girls"? Sounds good to me...

9:25 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Ulysses -- "Easu" just doesn't cut it! I think my husband had another adjective for those girls. They did an incredible job of demonstrating and talking through a fairly vigorous workout without ever sounding out of breath. Maybe you should look into getting one -- a Bosu Ball, that is.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Avid Reader -- I love books! I love to read! Your Blog looks like a great place to get good book recommendations.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home