Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sleep Challenged


Who would have ever thought the bed would be my biggest challenge? Even my Sleep Number Bed can’t live up to a hospital bed. And sleeping on my back has never been my preference.

Getting into and out of bed requires moving my bum leg with this long blue device with a loop at the end which hooks over my foot. It is a very slow process. I loved it in the hospital when the nurses would give you praise for being able to scoot your butt even 1/4" to get out of bed. But no one is usually cheering for me as I struggle with the bed stuff.

Actually I never said enough good things about my hospital stay. It was quite a contrast to my last experience in that same facility when I had my thyroid removed and subsequently had the radiation from hell treatment. But apparently the orthopedic department shows the hospital at its best and it did that for me as well. The staff were attentive and forever encouraging. They always came to help me when I called. As a nurse washed my back yesterday, I realized it had been a long time since anyone had washed my back.

The PT group were all young and extremely positive. Their job is to make sure you are ready to resume your life in your home. So when they asked me how many stairs I had in my house and I said 14, they took me to a fire escape with crutches and said, “Let’s go up”, and then we went back down. Not so bad. I thought stairs would be my nemesis, but instead it’s sleeping in a bed.

I went to bed at 10:30 last night which I already knew was a mistake since I live with a night owl. By 3:30 my body was extremely tired of lying in the same position. Even though it’s somewhat controversial, we tried putting a pillow between my legs so I could sleep on my good side, but it was somewhat painful. So I just elevated my upper body with that pillow and managed to sleep until just about 6:00. At which point I had to get up.

I made my way with the walker, my reacher, my sock putter-onner device, my discarded clothes from when I had gotten too hot in the night, and a glass of water to sit down in front of my computer, one very confused dog in tow.

A little while later I called my husband on my cell phone to say that if he brought me something to eat and drink he could certainly stay in bed a lot longer. So that’s where we stand at 6:40, as I sit here eating raisin bran and continuing the one activity that has gotten me through many a tough time.

I’m probably good for at least 3 hours, or until I have to go to the bathroom, which happens to be currently parked next to our bed. (Not all porta-potties were sent back!)

I’m already wondering how I will spend the day. A good friend may come over to help me wash my very gross head of hair. Another friend who knows all about PT may show up about 5:00. But there are a lot of other hours to fill. Time on my hands is a very new concept for me.

I would give a whole lot for a good night of sleep right now.

17 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

Having never been in your position, I can't offer much advice but I have been bed-ridden and had to fill in time. Why not fill in the time learning something new? There are all sorts of free on-line lectures you can listen to. Set yourself a study goal. If you've never drawn or painted, now's the time to learn. Same with poetry or song writing. Sort through photographs or sit yourself in front of the bookcase (or your famous file drawer) and start sorting...

You are a very resourceful person. Can't wait to hear your own time-filling ideas.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I would give a whole lot for a good night of sleep, too. It's been about six weeks with the travel, the inauguration and the Lariam. Even with a date last night, which included a six-mile walk, I was up at 6 and that's just wrong.

I feel for you, Barbara. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers, and seriously, if you want to play cards or board games or just sit and talk sometime this weekend, let me know. I'm here. I'm awake.

7:19 AM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

sleep will come...your are still in the post trauma stage and there's lots going on inside and out....

many years ago when I was 'bed ridden' for 3 months after an accident - I was amazing how I never got bored and found so many life 'lessons' hidden inside of the unplanned respite from normalcy...

if you haven't read wally lamb's novels...send d out to pick up them up...I'm reading his latest book and don't want to be not reading in....

talk soon...xxx

10:45 AM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

When my mom had her knee operation, I would take her for rides in the car. We would bundle up and then we would drive all over the back roads. I think the fresh air did her some good. I know it tired her out. One thing I had to argue with her about was taking her pain medication. She didn't want to take it, but without it (and in pain) she was irritable and grouchy as all get out. We also sat out on the porch, I got her a mini-dvd player and we watched tons of movies.
(Glad to hear that you are feeling somewhat better!) You have a sleep number bed! I slept on one of those last Spring when I went to Arizona for school and it was fantastic. I think I just liked turning the switch and having something do my bidding!

10:54 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Hi all -- Life looks a lot better with clean hair and so do I. A little makeup and no one would know I have a new bionic hip!

I'm still struggling a bit with the urge to clean up all the mess that seems to be sitting around in my house, to water the plants, and do all the "chores" I would normally be doing while at home. I may just need to relax my Type-A personality and learn to live with clutter for a while in the interest of domestic tranquility.

I'm sure my desire to pursue interesting things, even to finish my husband's scarf -- a long-time work in progress -- will return soon enough.

12:23 PM  
Blogger e said...

you know how you said in one post that you wanted to read more? Now's your chance! There were many other suggestions here as well. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I am feeling rather guilty for not acting on all those wonderful suggestions, but rather focusing on more mundane things like finding a way to hook a roll of toilet paper to the porta-potty and making a bag for my walker so I can carry things. I'm going to work toward using my backpack when I go upstairs with the crutches. I keep reminding myself -- baby steps! Hopefully even later today I will get back to more productive things like reading my favorite Bloggers' latest posts!

12:43 PM  
Blogger Aileen said...

I have absolutely no words of advice or wisdom to offer...

I can only say that I thoroughly empathize with what you are going through...I'm sure it is frustrating at times and stressful in its own way. I can only send you good thoughts and good energy for a speedy recovery.

Take care!

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I send my sympathies, Barbara! Your routines have all been upended, not to mention your body, and it's only natural that you feel out of sync with your surroundings and even yourself at times. I'm guessing things will feel familiar soon enough, albeit frustrating at times. Hang in there!

--- F.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Mouse -- After your mention of Wally Lamb, my good friend LR sent me a link to his website and it suddenly occurred to me that he wrote "She's Come Undone", a novel most of my book club hated. It was the book that initiated the rule "You have to read it before you can recommend it." I actually liked the book. How's his latest?

4:55 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

My first home PT session included lessons on getting into and out of bed. I learned that reason my right leg seems to have no brain is because the muscle that helps it move sideways was sliced to put in my new hip. It's a real retraining and strengthening thing, but for now there are better ways to do it.

5:08 PM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

most of your bookgroup hated she's come undone!!!! oh my

....it has been years since I read she's come undone. after all it was his first. but I know I simply adored it, I laughed and cried through the whole thing. I was impatient with how long it took before he got #2 out

his second book exceeded the first (for me) in how it was able to move me and get me to look at the world through new amazing lenses.

as for this third book - another masterpiece.

I'm no longer impatient with the years between books as I find each one is a gem. a masterpiece.

if I had to name my top ten favorite fiction authors wally lamb would be on that list.....

now that I think of what you wrote that 'most of your book group hated it' perhaps that is a good sign....the book probably made the folks in your group uncomfortable - it had a most distinctive protagonist

things that can raise passions and make people uncomfortable, especially comfortable middle-class people are all right in my book!

sorry I didn't call yesterday, speaking of wally...if I wasn't 'with' the folks during the day, I was lost in the book. then last night my girlfriend came over to my folks and we were lost in other things. I'll call you while I'm at national this afternoon.... and check in.

namaste!

8:00 AM  
Blogger karen said...

oh Barbara, i've been there and done that after a road accident... it is so frustrating, and that loss of complete independence is what I hated most, apart from the discomfort and trying to figure out new ways of doing old things, and wondering if you're doing something "wrong"! what kept me sane was lots and lots of books to read, and the mantra "this too, will pass".. thinking of you, take good care xx

9:09 AM  
Blogger tut-tut said...

I haven't been in your situation, so I'm probably the last to offer advice. Pauline seems to offer some sound suggestion.

As for books, I can suggest The Great Man by Kate Christensen, a rather wry look at people and their impressions of one another.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Karen -- I so understand about the loss of independence. We're all so fiercely determined to do things for ourselves. I'm actually doing much better on that today, but I had no option but to let my husband put my shoes on. Reaching for my feet is a no-no for a long time for me.

Tut-tut -- I think I could spend many months reading all the books people have brought me and my many Blogger friends have recommended. Thanks for yet another recommendation.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Avid Reader said...

I think Mouse gives good advice . As far as She's Come Undone, I thought the writing was quite good, but the character being such a victim all through, I made myself finish the book anyway. He's a very good writer.

4:28 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

barbara i'm so sorry i've missed your news up until now!

blimey, my heart and thoughts go out to you

I hope you see improvements soon, especially in sleep - also that you manage to be patient, i know i'd find it hard.
maybe you'll be able to catch up on sleep a bit during the day?

3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home