Saturday, March 21, 2009

Inch by inch, row by row



Just as Michelle Obama is planting a garden on the South Lawn of the White House, I am becoming a huge advocate of the CSA (community supported agriculture) movement. One of the highlights of my week is picking up the delivery of fresh produce on Wednesday afternoons.

I feel somewhat like an aging hippie as I start to volunteer my help for whatever needs to be done at Spiritual Food CSA. On Monday afternoon I will work with another volunteer to cut cheese for the 180 customers who will also pick up their “crates” on Wednesday. (Our CSA goes beyond fruits and vegetables to offer eggs, yogurt, cheese, oatmeal, dried peas and beans, and other surprises.) On Wednesday morning I will spend a few hours loading up the vans that will take the food for 180 people to their respective pick-up points. It’s quite an operation.

Our eating habits were always good, but we were spending a lot of money on organic produce at Whole Foods that wasn’t always as fresh as it could have been. And we were eating a rotation of a handful of vegetables. Belonging to a CSA has saved my figuring out what to buy and has added color and variety to our previously rather dull diet.

My dinner last night included leftover red cabbage with apples, pinto bean soup that definitely improves with age, and a green salad that tasted like it just came out of the garden. A free-range hard-boiled egg and bits of cheese in the salad eliminated the need for additional protein.

This week I will also contact two farmers who help supply our CSA for an interview that will be posted on the CSA website. The first is from Good Humus Produce, which supplies our dried fruit: apricots, peaches, nectarines. The second is from Kimberton CSA, supplier of biodynamic eggs. What would you ask a farmer who is dedicated to producing quality food?

4 Comments:

Blogger tut-tut said...

How do they cycle nutrients on the farm, assuming they have animals and plants and they are organic.

3:55 PM  
Blogger karen said...

It sounds like a brilliant idea! I loved your amazing Tea for Three post, and the red cabbage recipe, too... x

5:35 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I have no idea what I would ask! I should really think about that.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I have been thinking about your post. I'm not sure I have any questions easily asked, but I'd want to know about the people working the farm. How did the owner get into farming? Who works there? Any migrant workers? Are people paid living wages?

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home