Friday, April 24, 2009

A new slant on an old tune



Just this week I was listening to classical music on the radio as I often do. I learned something interesting about a piece I’ve heard numerous times, a piece which for some unknown reason evokes scenes from Dr. Zhivago for me!

Die Moldau is one of 6 symphonic poems written by the Czech composer Bedrich Smetana. You would recognize it immediately. This particular composition describes the course of the Vitava, one of Bohemia’s great rivers.



But here’s the interesting piece about Smetana’s most famous tune: “It is an adaptation of La Mantovana, a folk song of the Italian renaissance origin, which is also the basis for the Israeli national anthem, Hatikvah. The tune also appears in major in an old folk Czech song "Kočka leze dírou" (Cat is crawling the hole").” The radio announcer had obviously looked it up on Wikipedia, since this is what he imparted to his listening audience.

We always think the great composers came up with those melodies on their own, when as in this case their ideas often come from something written long before and borrowed repeatedly. Why not put a good tune to reuse?

What other instances of this can you mention? Twinkle, twinkle, for example?

13 Comments:

Blogger bulletholes said...

You know you can sing 'Amazing Grace" to the tune of 'Mickey Mouse".

10:46 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Bulletholes -- That would be reusing the words! I happen to love the original (or maybe it isn't) tune to Amazing Grace. The idea of bobbing mouse-ears while I sang Amazing Grace might be a stretch...

10:49 AM  
Blogger Rosaria Williams said...

This is quite original. Who knew that I'd drop in from Firebyrd, notice the quote by Anais and then this? I guess Jung was right after all.

Delightful post.

11:20 AM  
Blogger red dirt girl said...

the first one that came to mind is 'greensleeves' - from an english folk song. my daughter played it in her first guitar recital ... 5 years ago !! hard to believe.

this year she is playing 'leyenda' - wow, my mulette rocks! i'm so proud of her.

here's a youtube link of john williams playing Leyenda. sorry - don't know how to do links in a comment. you'll have to cut and paste - but i promise - it's worth it! (it's also known as 'Asturias'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY_DVDGYwLU

soooooo beautiful !!

xxx
rdm

11:28 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

OK.....Battle Hymn of the Republic.
Do that one count?

2:16 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

LV -- Welcome anytime!

RDM -- Yes, Greensleeves is an excellent example. I will definitely listen to Leyenda (sounds like something to do with reading...)

Bulletholes -- At least the BH and John Brown's Body. Any others?

2:31 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

The picture is lovely........your deck and the woods behind?

2:40 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kate -- Yep. Is is pretty this time of the year. Maybe dinner on the deck tonight. Wish you were here!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Waterbaby said...

in marching band we played all kinds of music, from the very classical to the *cough*crappy*crappy* pieces written to be read once and put down so we can test our sightreading skills. What I find fascinating is that most cultural melodies have the same intervals and 'rifts'. There was a Japanese traditional song we played for contest one year that sounded very Native American if you played it down an octave.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

WB -- Interesting observation about moving something by an octave. I have noticed that even lowering a piece by a third gives it a whole different feel.

10:13 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

no examples for you i'm afraid Barbara - though I think Vaughan Williams used and adapted folk tunes too - but thankyou for reminding me of this! I've been meaning to download it for my iPod.

I have such clear and lovely memories of doing some work on this music at School, and it was clearly good teaching as it brought the music alive in a way which stayed with me

4:08 AM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

it's very hot here today--I could use a nice icy viewing of Dr. Zhivago. And the music is lovely. maybe tomorrow if the heat persists.

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting post, Barbara! I think you're writing about a core aspect of the "folk process" in action. The two artists who borrowed from earlier folk musics who spring first to my mind are Bob Dylan and Bartok. Barry Manilow (ahem) used a Chopin piece. Etc.!

F.

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home