Sunday, May 03, 2009

Learning about bones



This book has become my new Bible, as I attempt to reclaim bone loss naturally. I’ve also switched to a new supplement that promotes calcium absorption.

I had a consultation this week with one of the few physicians in this country who is not on the bandwagon of the prescription medications for aging bones -- principally alendronate (Fosamax) and risedronate (Actonel). Instead she recommended that I read this book, modify my daily supplements, and do weight-bearing exercise on a regular basis.

The book by Annemarie Colbin, Ph.D., is fascinating. As with most health things, there is not a one-size-fits-all diet that addresses this issue. But rather it’s a balancing act of acid-forming foods, alkalizing foods, and the buffers (mostly dairy) in between.

On the cover it says “A pioneering nutritionist show you:
-- How to strengthen your bones with the food you eat
-- How to rebuild bone mass naturally
-- Why estrogen therapy, calcium supplements, and prescription medications are not the answer
-- Which foods weaken the bones and diminish bone mass

At this point, I don’t know enough to even begin to modify my diet, which I thought was already pretty good. I know I’m on the right track with green leafy vegetables like collards and kale and even parsley, which I have come to love over the past year. But it will take some more study, perhaps some lab work to establish baselines, and probably a consultation or two with someone who really understands the chemistry of the big picture.

I’m also learning how important it is to take calcium supplements which are accompanied by other minerals such as magnesium to maximize their absorption. In addition, there are certain things known to rob the body of calcium, caffeine (in all its forms) being one of them. I may need to address the caffeine I consume through tea and even (oh no!) dark chocolate.

My wonderful PT person who helped me recover from my recent surgery is coming over on Friday afternoon to reconvert our home gym from a convenient place to pile things to the exercise machine it was intended to be. I’m going to be pumping weight once again (or more like it, seriously for the first time).

There are no guarantees that anything will work better than anything else. But for now, I’m betting on a natural approach to dealing with this problem most of us face at one point or another. I can always resort to the drugs if all else fails.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

The book sounds fascinating! As one who doesn't like taking anything, I should look into that.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- You may not need to take anything now since your diet is full of many things needed for building and maintaining healthy bones. But I do wish I had read the book at your age!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Waterbaby said...

Have you looked into yoga as well as weight lifting? I recently did a research project about yoga and I found out that yoga can help in rehabilitation and physical therapy. Yoga incorporates a lot of seated or chair poses that people with knee or hip problems find beneficial. Good luck!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

WB -- I have enjoyed the benefits of yoga for years. In fact I organized a class which starts just this week taught by a teacher who specializes in "yoga for creaky bodies." That would be me and many people around my age!

Yoga is great for people of all ages. Do you have a yoga practice?

1:34 PM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

I love doing pilates and tai chi, I suppose they help in some small way.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Squirrel -- Just moving at all is so important. I'm sure the pilates and tai chi are extremely helpful!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Don't give up your chocolate. Such pleasures are important! Figure out how to work it in with the rest of the healthy eating, that's my two cents. :)

4:37 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- I would probably take the drugs before giving up my one small square of chocolate each day, if it ever came to that. I admit to being addicted to dark chocolate, but a tiny bit is all I require to feed my habit!

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Kate said...

I have been taking calcium with magnesium for years now. I also have that book as well and follow it pretty religiously. However, even with the proper nutrition and weight strengthening exercises I do daily, I have opted for the weekly Rx. I choose not to overlook any possibility that will lessen my bone loss over the next years.

12:11 PM  
Blogger red dirt girl said...

i love the approach you are taking, barbara. I'm finding as i grow 'wiser'?? or more 'cynical' about the health professions, that less, indeed, can be .. enough.

strong bodies: physically, nutritiously, spiritually lead to healthy minds and wellness. i like the holistic approach.

i did pilates - not mat, but on a reformer table, for a year. it was the BEST exercise for me, who loathes all exercise. and we use our own weight for many of the exercises and the use of springs to pull against or push against.

kudos to you for taking the next step!

xxx
rdm

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home