Saturday, May 02, 2009

Unwinding



On a somewhat overcast and rainy day, it took at least an hour to take down and unwind the May pole from last year’s celebration. Those same ribbons were woven by the group in a matter of minutes as we frolicked a year ago in the warm May sun.



I remember being so excited as we got ready for last year’s party. There were so many things to do -- inviting guests, buying a pole and ribbons, figuring out how to make it stand up, making potato salad and little skewers to grill, and making sure there was enough beer. But perhaps the best part was anticipating meeting Bloggers from far and wide in person for the first time.

The day was perfect -- warm and sunny with no chance of rain. After trips to the Metro and righting a few wrong turns, everyone was assembled. We were told to make a wish before the dance began and to hold that wish as we passed under and over each other’s ribbons. There was a certain magic that filled those moments.

Then we consumed prodigious quantities of food and drink. I quickly learned who the best clean-up people in the group were as they left my kitchen spotless.

All that remained of the day’s festivities was the decorated pole and a lot of newly forged friendships. The pole has stood in place all year undisturbed, weathering rain, snow, sleet, and hail over the course of the year. Some of the friendships are no longer. Others are stronger than ever.

It was time to unwind today. With a few snips of the scissors I could easily have removed the colorful ribbons. But instead I decided to mindfully unwind them, trying to remember who had held which one.



The pole is gone. I will no longer need to answer my dinner guests’ question of “What’s that?” as they look at my back yard.

Even though there’s no May dance today, I’m thinking a wish for the next year wouldn’t be a bad thing. May Day is supposed to be a celebration of fertility and creativity. I’ll hope for something on the creative side!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just know you will find a creative use for those ribbons. :)

Kate (because blogger won't let me sign in the usual way :(

2:41 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I can't figure you why Blogger does this to you from time to time!

As for the ribbons, I'm waiting to be inspired...

3:06 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

You could weave them all together to make a wall hanging or some pillow covers, or both!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Has it really only been a year since you wrote about the May pole? So much can change in such a short time.

4:31 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

That looks like fun! I'm meeting a bunch of SoCal bloggers tonight for "classic eats."

Serious question: is the whole May pole thing a pagan ritual, or does it come from an organized religion, or neither? What's its background? It always seemed to me to be the flip side of Halloween.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- My original thought was to make something I could distribute to the people who participated. I don't think there's 12 pillows worth of ribbon in that pile, but who knows?

Kristin -- Yes, many things have happened that I could not foresee a year ago.

MC -- Once again, Wikipedia to the answer. This celebration had its roots in German paganism, although it looks like it has since made its way around the world in various formats.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Oh! Wow! A year ago. What a different time in my life that was and it was just a year ago! Again, wow! It was a wonderful day in all respects (except I got there later than everyone else and missed the grilling fun).

Thanks for hosting such a fun event. It was great meeting you and many other bloggers.

Happy May Day!

8:58 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gary -- I do remember that you arrived late. I'm sure we waited for you before doing our dance. I also remember that you brought everyone at the party a special gift.

I do hope our paths cross in real life again some day!

11:48 PM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

a year ago--I hope this summer is as nice as last summer was.

Letty is very good at very quietly tidying up ~ when she was here she kept things very neat.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your description of your mindful unwinding of the ribbons...what a respectful and open-hearted ritual for putting away the tangible reminders of a special day, including honoring the friendships that are no more. Your life is abundant with people (both in "real" life, as you call it, and in the blogosphere) who know and love you just as you are.

F.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Squirrel -- I was privileged to have Letty in my house overnight during her May visit last year. She was the perfect guest, even leaving behind "souvenirs" of her visit.

I wish you could have joined us last year because you know several of the attendees!

Anon -- There was something very visceral about unbraiding all those ribbons. It felt like the right way to honor the day from the past and the memories it conjured up.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Barbara: I also liked the way you described taking down the pole and mindfully unwinding the ribbons. It's great that you treated the legacy of that day with such respect. :)

You know what's funny? I can't remember what wish I made. And I can't remember which ribbon was mine. So much happens in a year!

But I do remember having a GREAT time, eating some great food and meeting some terrific people (and one terrific dog)!

4:41 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- It's funny how memory tends to mix things up. I looked back to see that we were instructed "to charge the poll with lusty thoughts", not to make a wish! I then wondered if those lusty thoughts were released by the unbraiding of the ribbons or whether they had long since found their way out into the universe.

Jake sat mindfully at my feet chewing on his Kong as I dismantled the pole. I think he was secretly hoping all of you were coming back again this year. Come to think of it, maybe I was too!

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home