Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Matchmaker at Heart



We got some good news yesterday to pass along to our son who is planning to go back to school to get an LLM in intellectual property in the fall. A fat letter came from Wash U, his top choice in schools, so we opened it figuring if it were a rejection it would have been very thin. He’s in! Now he must figure out how to pay for another year of law school.

He was so hopeful he would get in that he applied to take the Illinois bar this summer and bought all the weighty books used off Craig’s List in preparation. Like in chess, he things many steps beyond the present.

I happened to remember that my childhood best friend’s daughter is a lawyer practicing in St. Louis, so I called FL up just to see if her daughter was still there. Here’s the story:

Her daughter is 3 months older than my son. She went to Wash U as an undergraduate, then went elsewhere to law school. She returned to St. Louis, where she works in a prestigious firm doing intellectual property law. Looking her up with Google, I see she is just as cute as my friend was and quite accomplished.

So at least I have a great contact for my son as he figures out how to live and go to school in a new big city. They do have a lot in common. I hope they can at least become friends! And if something more happened, would I complain?

11 Comments:

Blogger lacochran said...

Whatever you do, don't tell him you think she's cute. That would be the kiss of death! (We never want what our parents want.)

wv: blesses (Maybe it is a blessed love match?)

12:48 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I've totally got Fiddler on the Roof running through my head now! There's no harm in making an introduction. You can't fall in love with someone if you never meet him/her.

Though, my worst relationships were with guys I was "supposed" to like, the ones vetted by friends and/or family with whom I went out against my better judgment. I'm sticking with instinct for a while.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

LA -- Yikes! I already told him I thought she was cute. I hope I didn't jinx it.

Kristin -- I'm actually no Yente, but I too am singing, "Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match, find me a find, catch me a catch..." So many good songs in one musical.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

singing, "Plant a radish, get a radish, never any doubt...." from The Fantastiks.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Daniel! I have intellectual property lawyer contacts in Chicago and would love to help make that sort of "match."

Judy K.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the good news, Barbara. I know you've been concerned about his future prospects, so these look like good signs!

XO,

F.

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Kate said...

Am glad for Daniel and glad for you but have discovered that the women we liked that my older son had been involved with never lasted ;)

7:24 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kelly -- I'm sorry to say I don't get it. Please explain! :)

JK -- I'm sure he will be interested to talk to you when he comes home in June.

Anon -- I have actually learned to trust that he has a game plan and he will figure out a way to make it happen. He always had the chess game figured out long before the end; I think that is true with his career path as well.

Kate -- Ultimately it's their choice, not ours!

11:18 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Great news! I am enjoying catching up old posts.. nettle soup? amazing! :)

8:55 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I have been wondering one thing, ever since you posted about getting used to your son being back home.
I just have to ask....
Do you let him have girls over?
Not just for dinner Barbara, but for a little Yum-Yum up in his room at 2AM?
Jus' askin'.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

The Fantasticks is a 1960 musical with music by Harvey Schmidt and lyrics by Tom Jones. It was produced by Lore Noto. It tells an allegorical story, loosely based on the play "The Romancers" ("Les Romanesques") by Edmond Rostand [1], concerning two fathers who put up a wall between their houses to ensure that their children fall in love, because they know that children always do what their parents forbid. After the children do fall in love, they discover their fathers' plot and they each go off and experience things in the world. They return to each other and the love they had, having learned from the world and made an informed decision. Elements of the play are ultimately drawn from the story of Pyramus and Thisbe, its story winding its way through Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and A Midsummer Night's Dream as well as Donizetti's L'Elisir d'Amore and Rostand's play.

The show's original production off-Broadway ran a total of 17,162 performances in 42 years, making it the world's longest-running musical.[1] It was awarded Tony Honors for Excellence in Theatre in 1991. The poetic book and breezy, hummable score, including such familiar songs such as "Try to Remember," helped make this show so durable. Many productions followed, as well as television and film versions. The Fantasticks has also become a staple of regional, community, and high school productions virtually since its premiere. The show is very budget-friendly because of its small cast, two-person orchestra and minimalist set design.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home