Monday, May 18, 2009

Someone's Coming


I’m excited and a little apprehensive at the same time about my son coming home. He’s finishing up in Germany and just about to enter a new era of his life with an undefined stop at home on the way.

After teaching English in Germany for well over a year, he is going back to school to get a masters in law. He will have applied to 6 schools, including 2 in the UK, for programs that start in September. So it will be a waiting game to see where he gets in and whether anyone offers him a financial incentive to attend. The latter part would be nice since the bank of Mom&Dad is no longer available to him. Having already seen him through lots of schooling and other endeavors, we all agree it’s time for him to be financially responsible, even if that means taking out more dreaded student loans.

So mid-June he will take up residency in his old room at our house. Jake can barely contain himself since D is his favorite person on the face of the earth.

Things will go well for a couple of days. We may do some cooking together. We can take Jake on family walks. We will definitely go out for Indian food.

Then his lifestyle and ours will have that inevitable collision that always occurs. My husband is better than I am at not being the one to antagonize. Maybe we’ve learned enough from past mistakes to avoid going down the slippery slope that can often follow.

I’m really hopeful we’ll get it right this time and be able to live in harmony for the time he is home before his studies begin in some place yet to be determined. Since I don’t seem to have a lot of travel plans right now (make that none), it will be nice to have company, but even better to have family!

9 Comments:

Blogger Waterbaby said...

Oh yay, it's always good to have out of town relatives back home. Sometimes it takes a few tries to be able to live with someone, I think my brother moved out of my mom's house three or four times and my dad's 2 or 3 times. The last time he lived with my mom he lived in the front living room but everyone got along mostly all right and he got his stuff together and moved out!

6:07 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

As hard as it is to be an adult child, I'm sure it's even harder to parent adult children. I hope you enjoy the time together.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Having three adults under one roof is always stressful, not matter how tight the bonds. Or so it seems to me.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

When our grown daughters come for a three days visit we are always delighted. But that`s three days! Living together means clear rules on both sides. No mingling!
Oh, I`m sure you all enjoy each other. Say hi to him from me! Hope he liked the books. He is free to pass them on (which I usually do, sometimes even in the train...)

2:57 AM  
Blogger karen said...

How wonderful to have your son coming home! It's always one of my favourite things... we have one with us right now, and I'm loving it!! good luck with the harmonic living xx

3:27 AM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

How nice to have him come back (for a little while anyway).
My house is lonely without any of my boys here. I guess that's why I keep loaded it up with other people's dogs these days.

You'll have a nice summer with him around, I'm sure.

10:12 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I think its important to set a curfew....maybe say "You need to be home by 11:00 or you will be locked out".
And be sure to have him write down what food he eats so that at the end of the week you can bill him, and that he knows its the "honor" system for now.
Just kidding

11:07 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Everyone -- Thanks for all your positive vibes! I'm hopeful this will be a great visit for all of us.

But Bulletholes, if I tried what you suggested we would not be off to a such a good start. You simply don't give a 28-year-old a curfew!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

:::still laughing over bullethole's suggestions:::

I moved back with my parents at age 24 to do my internship after living on my own for seven years. It worked best when we tried to treat each other as roommates and not as relatives. I mean, simple courtesy such as letting each other know when we would be home late. Six months was a long time to live with my folks, but we survived -- you will too! The common rule of thumb in our family has been: BA's we got tuition/some living support, MA's we had to work and contribute and Phd's we were on our own! ::Laugh::: Guess which one is the most expensive?!

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home