Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Wish he could talk



For 11 years my dog Jake has eaten anything put in his food bowl, never begged for more, and basically never made food an issue. But he’s suddenly lost interest in his usual dried food.

This morning after he refused to eat, I offered him some of the Woofy food from Polyface Farm, a mixture of beef and vegetables that looks disgusting, but apparently tastes good to dogs. He ate it and then promptly threw up. Of greater concern, there were flecks of blood in what came up. He has been eating a lot of grass lately.

I’m terribly concerned about what’s going on in Jake’s stomach. So much so that I looked up homemade dog food and found the recipe below.

For now, I’m cooking up some chicken feet into a good stock that I’ll use to make some bland rice for his dinner.



I know dogs go off their food for many reasons. But for one who has always been an eater, it is a great cause for concern. I can only imagine the worst and hope for the best.

Basic Dog Food Recipe

Ingredients
4 cups uncooked rice
9 cups water
1/4 cup oats
1 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Once the mixture is boiling add:

1/2 cup 2% milk
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped fine
3 ounces liver, chopped fine
8 ounces ground beef (or chicken or lamb)
3 tablespoons corn oil
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups vegetables (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.), chopped fine

Stir, turn heat to low, and cook for about 20 minutes until all water is absorbed. Then spread out in flat Tupperware containers, cool and cut into half cup squares. When feeding, add cottage cheese or yogurt, and 1 tsp. supplement mix per 30 lbs of dog weight:

Supplement Mix

1 cup brewer's yeast
1 cup wheat germ
1/8 cup powdered kelp

9 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

Flecks of blood does not sound good. Maybe you should take him to the vet. I hope he feels better soon!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Yikes! I hope he's OK! Cyndy is right -- a vet visit may be in order.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy, Steve -- I'm going to hold off for a few days because he is not otherwise acting sick. It seems like this happened to our other dog Dylan and the vet simply put him on very expensive canned food that needed a Rx. I'm going to try a homemade natural approach (which turns out not to be exactly cheap!) unless he starts to show other symptoms.

5:06 PM  
Anonymous restaurantrefugee said...

I hope that the homemade food thing works for you and Jake; and I am keeping a good thought for his longterm health.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

RR -- Thanks for your good wishes. He wolfed down his healthy bland dinner tonight, so it may not be anything so serious after all.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

You're such a good mom to Jake! Hope he's okay...and you to with your new hip! I'm still just checking in and haven't really the desire to write much but I like to see how everyone's doing! Loved your recipe for rhubarb crisp!

9:50 AM  
Blogger bozoette said...

I hope Jake is eating heartily once again and stays healthy. He's a good good dog!

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be well, sweet dog!

F.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Keep us posted and let me know if you want any homemade dog treats. I'd be happy to bake some for Jake.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home