Monday, May 11, 2009

Reminders of Motherhood



I always approach Mother’s Day with no expectations. That way I can never be disappointed. But yesterday my children, my husband, and even Jake came through with flying colors.

I woke up to an adorable homemade card from none other than Jake, which included his picture and the message “Woof, woof! Happy Mother’s day. Love, Jake”. He even left me a gift bag containing a device that plugs into my cigarette lighter and allows me to play my iPhone in the car. Now wasn’t that a thoughtful dog!

At 9 AM I got a call from Dan in Germany. I’m sure that took some effort on his part because Mother’s Day is a US holiday I think. We talked about his last few months in Hamburg as he prepares to start graduate school in the fall.

While I was doing laps at the rec center, Rachel called from San Francisco. By the time I called her back, she had fallen back to sleep, so our “real” conversation was delayed a few hours.

My husband had made reservations for brunch at Cafe Belga, one of my favorite Capitol Hill restaurants. It was one of the few beautiful sunny days we have had recently, so we sat outside and enjoyed the spring weather. I had a waffle with roasted tomatoes and goat cheese that was so savory and just perfect for brunch. But the dessert was the best part of the meal. It was a sampling of just about every dessert they serve, including two versions of chocolate mousse, creme brulee, a waffle with chocolate sauce, homemade espresso ice cream, and a few more.

Rachel called back in the evening after she finished studying for her last final. We compared CSA’s, shared our latest cooking adventures, and talked about when she might come home for a visit.

So they all remembered. It felt good to know my family was thinking about me!

11 Comments:

Blogger red dirt girl said...

it sounds like a great mother's day!

i made your lentil soup / chicken recipe tonight. my mulettes actually ate it! and my youngest went back for at least 2 more servings (i rarely cook ...)

thank you!

xxx
rdm

8:53 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

RDM -- I'm so glad everyone liked the soup. We had a variation on that recipe tonight -- split pea and lentil soup made with chicken stock.

9:13 PM  
Anonymous lr said...

I am elated by your Mother’s Day blog! How wonderful that your entire nuclear family made contact. Jake did a fine job, making use of a generally useless/unhealthy feature of the automobile. How wonderful that Dan and Rachel, both radically removed from your time zone, reached you and engaged in meaningful conversation. Yea, David, who took care of the sensuous pleasures of food! All these expressions of love blossomed in response to YOU.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

LR -- I hope your day was equally special!

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a heartwarming day so full of family!

XO,

F.

12:55 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

it's wonderful indeed when all your family remembers! Glad your Mother's Day was so lovely.

6:50 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Oops!
Happy Mothers Day!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It sounds like a very happy Mother's Day, and I'm happy for you! I wish you the best every day of the year, Barbara.

10:08 AM  
Blogger bozoette said...

That dessert looks amazing! So glad you had as nice a day as I did.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Sounds like a perfect day! I tried to call my mother and left messages at her house and on her cell, but I think she was ducking me. :)

1:29 PM  
Blogger Fire Byrd said...

What a lovely day.
It made me smile reading about it.
So the smile must have never left your face all day!
x

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home