Friday, May 15, 2009

Something New



Another new vegetable in this week’s CSA delivery. I had never bought or cooked rhubarb before.

In looking for a recipe, I quickly realized they all call for sugar! I try to stay away from refined sugar as much as possible, but the acidic nature of rhubarb seems to make it a necessity.

Here’s the recipe I ended up making:

Rhubarb Crisp

1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 cups sliced rhubarb
2 apples, peeled and sliced
3/4 cup raisins
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preparation:

In mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, oats, butter, and cinnamon; mix together until crumbly. Press half of the brown sugar and oats mixture into a buttered 8-inch square baking dish. Top with the rhubarb, apples, and raisins, which have been mixed together.

In a saucepan combine the granulated sugar, cornstarch, water, and vanilla. Cook until thickened, then pour over the rhubarb-apple-raisin mixture. Top with remaining crumb mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes.



Anything with this much sugar has got to taste good!

9 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

I read this while eating a bowl of rhubarb sauce sprinkled with toasted pecans! I love the stuff. My neighbor, thankfully, grows a large patch in her yard and I know the location of several patches gone wild around old house foundations. Rhubarb, also called pie plant, is quite sour without sugar. I find if I use unrefined sugar that still has the molasses in it, I can get away with less.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- The proof will be in the tasting. We're going to Pennsylvania tomorrow to visit the farm where our CSA vegetables are grown. We'll meet up with another CSA group from around there and share dessert after walking around the farm. My contribution will be rhubarb crisp!

It will most definitely be the most walking I've done in a long time. I'm taking the cool cane just in case!

9:24 PM  
Blogger lacochran said...

Sounds seriously wonderful!

I've always enjoyed strawberry rhubarb combinations but I don't know that I've seen a lot of other things with rhubarb. Huh.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

We always had gardens as I was growing up, flowers and vegetables. A rhubarb plant was a must as far as my father was concerned. I ate rhubarb pie, rhubarb crisp and mushy rhubarb sauce over vanilla ice cream most of my life. I love, love, love it. So glad you discovered it and your recipe is similar to one I have so count on it being delicious!

2:32 AM  
Blogger karen said...

rhubarb! How amazing.. very seldom find it around here these days, but I have wonderful memories of rhubarb crisp/crumble, as a child..

3:27 AM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

Your rhubarb crisp looks delicious. For me there is only one thing to do with rhubard and that is to make a rhubarb custard pie. It is heavenly--probably my very favorite dessert of all time. See my pie here: http://andsewitgoes.blogspot.com/2008/04/pie.html

3:29 AM  
Blogger Fire Byrd said...

Rhubarb, with a dash of orange juice or a little fresh ginger and a sweet crumble topping is a wonderful old fashioned pudding with a twist.

4:11 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

That sounds wonderful. I love rhubarb and planned to pick up some at the market this weekend. Maybe I'll make a crisp; though, I do have a great tart recipe if you're interested.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I'm so glad you posted this recipe. Dave and I were just talking about making something with rhubarb. We're on it!

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home