Friday, July 17, 2009

The question of updates



I’m sure people fall into two distinct groups – those who install software upgrades immediately and the rest like me who put them off as long as we can.

I’m generally of the mind that if my computer seems to be running just fine, I don’t see the need to change anything. So I continue to say “Not now” when asked. I wonder if there is a “Not now” counter that eventually just does it instead of asking any longer?

I can guarantee that my techie husband is of the first group who always wants to be on the cutting edge of things. He would probably be as embarrassed as hell if someone saw on their statcounter that he was running an older version of Firefox. Heaven forbid!

I seriously doubt I have missed out on much by not being software current. But maybe I will just kindly say “OK” the next time I am asked. But then again, maybe not.

Which group do you fall into?

6 Comments:

Blogger media concepts said...

What about custom install people vs. express install people? I always choose custom, just in case there's something pernicious in there that I don't want, such as more toolbars, etc.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

on my MAC a little bouncing ball lets me know that updates are waiting to be installed. To stop the ball, I install ;)

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Not now" is more my style with computer upgrades...

F.

4:30 AM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

I'm more of a "not now" person than a now person. However, if it pops up and I'm in no hurry to do anything on the computer I'll just go ahead and get it done.
The bouncing ball thing is probably what I need as it would drive me up the wall!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- Custom install is way beyond where I want to go.

Pauline -- I think the ball quits bouncing if you ignore it long enough.

Anon -- I knew were compatible.

Gewels -- Yeah, that's pretty much my philosophy, but there is usually something I would rather be doing other than waiting to restart my computer.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

On my work computer, I install updates immediately but I only use sanctioned software. On the other, well, I can't remember the last time I updated anything.

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home