Monday, July 13, 2009

A Vacation by Design



I’ve been a little down in the dumps over my first summer in as long as I can remember with no vacation. I feel jealous as I watch friend after friend go to exotic places.

There are a lot of complicating reasons why we have no plans. My husband has a problem with nerves in his feet that makes it difficult for him to stand for a long time or to walk very far. I’m still not 100%. And our son is in the process of moving back and resuming life as a student. So about the most we can muster is a trip to Detroit for a friend’s daughter’s wedding and believe me, that is no vacation.

My husband has been increasingly aware of my funk over being homebound. He suggested that we go to Chautauqua later in the summer. But for me Chautauqua is about playing chamber music with my friend Deborah and the others and that is next week. It’s also about sharing a house with friends and taking turns cooking. I don’t go there only to become an expert on World Peace (week 7) or Cuba (week 8), although those are great subjects to learn more about.

He then suggested that we go to Vieques, an island off of Puerto Rico, where we enjoyed several vacations with our children. But after having 4 melanomas removed, I am reluctant to sign on for a vacation in the sun.

So I started thinking about what my ideal vacation might be like and quickly realized it would be all about ME. My hypothetical vacation site would offer massage, yoga, swimming, even PT, and meditation during the day. It might be nice to be able to take easy walks in a beautiful place. At night there might be a choice between playing chamber music with other people and crafts as hokie as lanyard making. An opportunity to cook good nutritious food would be nice, but just eating such food without cooking it would be just fine. It would be great to include my spouse in this nirvana of a place, but that wouldn’t have to be a requirement.

In light of the fact that I don’t know where I would ever find such a place or be able to afford it, the next best and most realistic thing seems to reschedule my cancelled trip to San Francisco to see my daughter. I have a free round trip ticket good for a year. She originally offered me a place to stay. I have several Blogger friends there whom I’m still dying to meet. I’m simply waiting for my daughter’s invitation.

In the meantime, I’m looking forward to having lunch with a local Blogger I’ve admired for many years. It may well be a summer about small local pleasures such as this one.

20 Comments:

Blogger lacochran said...

The Omega Institute in Rhinebeck, NY.

Oh yeah.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I just checked out The Omega Institute and it seems to match up incredibly well with my dream vacation. We had actually read about this place several years ago, but I had completely forgotten about it. Thanks for the suggestion.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

It is currently 106.3 in Hooterville. Not much going on, but you can get a cheap resort rate this time of year.

6:08 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

I like the SF idea. It's many people's favorite city in the U.S.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I recommend inviting yourself. I've taken to doing that a lot lately and it's working out well.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I'd love to see you! Keep me/us posted!

XO,

F.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Merle -- Thanks, but no thanks to 106.3 anywhere. That's not my idea of a good vacation! In fact, I recommend that you take one.

MC -- I adore SF. I'm thinking that's where I'll go. I'll bet I can find a good massage and a yoga class there. If I stay with my daughter I can be reminded of my experience living with 4 other girls. Should be fun!

Kristin -- I would hesitate to take my life partner along on a trip that probably involves a lot of walking!

Anon -- I feel a strong pull to go west. I will keep your summer schedule in mind as I make any plans. Our paths are destined to cross sooner or later. There are also another couple of Blogger friends I want to visit in SF.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Ugh, I know how you feel. I spent this weekend moping around (working on the house actually)feeling all bitter because we aren't going ANYWHERE this summer. I haven't even made it down to the ocean yet. I'm going to be on the first ship out of here whenever my house is finally finished.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- You will have earned the right to a vacation after that house is finally done. I'll bet your husband is as anxious as you to have some time to relax away from home.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

there's always Canyon Ranch, right down the road from me, or Kripalu, which is also nearby... ;)

No harm in enjoying small, local outings - they add up and can be looked forward to as much as big, expensive trips.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- If I traveled in your direction, I would probably end up skipping Canyon Ranch and Kripalu (as tempting as they might be) and just spending time with you and sitting in your summer house reading. That would probably be just as therapeutic as spending all that money at fancy spas!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

door's open!

11:25 AM  
Blogger wordwitch said...

I know how you feel - Not ONE of the vacations we had planned at the beginning of the year are going to happen. Even our 10th anniversary trip had to be canceled. Heck, even a weekend trip is too much at this point. Being unemployed really puts a severe cramp in any and all activities. I would SO very much love to go away.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- I think I would like to come for a short visit sometime in August if you are going to be home. I would be more than happy to sleep in the summer house!

I'm hoping to take the bus. I know how to get as far as NYC, but what do I do from there? Please send me an e-mail at bndiskin@gmail.com if you have advice!

This is something I've been wanting to do for years now. I think it's about time!

Wordwitch -- My sympathies for your lack of vacation too. I hope you find a way to escape DC if just for a weekend!

2:03 PM  
Blogger bozoette said...

If you happen to see my heart in San Francisco, let me know. I left it there many years ago! :) Enjoy your vacation!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

San Fran would be great! Good luck on setting it up! (I agree re. a vacation -- it looks like I might not get much of one this year either, which is ironic in that I have more time off than ever. Guess we gotta MAKE it happen!)

4:05 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Bozoette -- I'll keep a lookout for your heart if and when I get there!

Steve -- I'm realizing I must proactive if I'm going to make something happen. I'm hoping to take a bus trip to Mass to visit Pauline, maybe stopping for lunch or even a mini-walk in NYC if you are around coming or going. I'm also hoping to hit SF in September for at least a long weekend. How's that for planning?

I suppose this plan proves it's really people I want to see, not all those ME-related things I started out with...

5:25 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

SF!! SF!!! Yeah!!!!

(just hope I am one of those blogger types you are looking forward to meeting...)!!!!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kelly -- Of course I am looking forward to seeing you if indeed I make it to SF!

I also want to meet up with a reader in SF who never comments but who comes here almost every day.

11:55 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Well I'm a little late on this post but how about an overnight trip to Nemacolin Spa just north of Deep creek Lake.
Fabulous spa with yoga and pilates classes (along with countless others)indoor outdoor pools, any kind of massage that you would want, Facials, hair and body treatmens, you name it. It's a gorgeous Japanese inspired spa.My husband and I enjoyed a couples massage side by side in a candle lit room.
You can stay in a room in the French Chateau, the rustic lodge or take one of the little houses nestled in the woods around the property.
Treat yourself to a very upscale, and worth it, meal at Lutece or head to the less expensive (but still amazingly yummy) Italian restaurant or ice cream parlor.
There;s also gold, skeet shooting, horseback riding (no crafts though) and a short hop to see Frank Lloyd Wright;s Falling Water.

But since your summer is chock full this would be a great Autumn jaunt.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home