Saturday, July 11, 2009

Coins



My son went back to Germany today for a few weeks before returning for good to get a masters in law at GWU. Among other things, he left behind this rather large pile of foreign coins, mostly of the EU variety. While cleaning up in the way mothers are used to doing, I pondered over these coins as I collected them from the far corners of his room.

I was first perplexed as to why someone would use up scarce weight in a single suitcase with so many coins that can’t even easily be spent in this country. Many are of the smallest denomination.

Then I reflected on the fact that so many men bring coins home only to unload their pockets and never spend them. Even today I spend my coins, this past week paying for a cappuccino in Peregrine with a baggy of coins. But men just don’t do that. Can anyone tell me why?

I wondered if there was any place here to redeem these coins, to turn them into dollars. I’m sure this pile represents many dollars, but who would want them enough to make the swap?

Should I wait until he comes back again in 3 weeks? He cannot possibly have amassed so many coins by then, but my guess is the pile will definitely be bigger.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

You could save them and take them with you the next time you go to Europe, or possibly exchange them for dollars at the airport, although they might only take paper money there.

When I worked on the ship they had a system where we could donate our unused coins from each country for charity. There was a huge container in one of the stairwells designated specifically for that purpose.

2:02 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I have no idea what you do with a load of EU coins.

As for men and change, having coins in your pocket is a nuisance. I have a hand crank change bank that I drop my coins in each day. When I get a hundred bucks or two rolled, I take them to the bank. It is like found money to me.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I have a piggy bank full of foreign coins - I share them with my nieces and nephews. I have another full of US coins that I cash in on a regular basis because I like the larger sums.

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd wait until he returns, as he may bring even more back with him then, and also, he may have something in mind for all of them...

F.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I found this place which turns out to be a few miles from my house. I'm sure my son will be happy to have the $US upon his return so I think I'll take this bag in and see how it works.

Merle -- You've given me a great idea for a holiday gift for the men in my family. Now I must locate a place to buy "a hand crank change bank." Sounds like something they could both use!

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home